BETTER WITHOUT ADS? Become a voluntary supporter

Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Achilles pain

33 watchers
Aug 2015
11:25pm, 18 Aug 2015
1448 posts
  •  
jacdaw
The heel drops worked for me, although I wasn't dropping below horizontal as I had insertional achilles tendinitis / tendinopathy (according to Dr Google).

Some information here: runningwritings.com

What really fixed my problem for good was moving to a flatter shoe with a more flexible sole and, most importantly, a low cut, soft heel-cup.
Jun 2016
2:50pm, 1 Jun 2016
7358 posts
  •  
Mrs Muckyhands
I know this is an old threat but I spent a large part of yesterday reading through the many pages as I have endured problems with my Achilles for months now. I would like to say thank you to everyone who has contributed, I wish I had looked sooner :)
Jun 2016
6:34pm, 1 Jun 2016
21438 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Is it improving Mrs M?
Jun 2016
6:58pm, 1 Jun 2016
14655 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I too am grateful to see this thread reemerge as I have a been struggling with an achilles problem for a month or so. I thought I was nearly recovered but a run today proved otherwise
Jun 2016
7:27pm, 1 Jun 2016
21439 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I have tendonitis in right Achilles and I'm doing exercises every day to hopefully shift it

A 132 day streak (in fairness often only running 15 to 25 mins) didn't cause a problem but "proper" training even three times per week quickly brought on a flare up
Jun 2016
11:39am, 3 Jun 2016
25705 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I felt it twinging again a bit after a holiday (with quite intense climbing up hills with a heavy-ish pack on back).

Will do my guaranteed fix for Achilles (eccentric heel drops) as a preventative in the gym over next couple of weeks.

Good luck all AH sufferers. :-) G
Jun 2016
12:18pm, 3 Jun 2016
830 posts
  •  
larkim
How long does it take for twinges to go away with your routine HappyG?
Jun 2016
1:36pm, 3 Jun 2016
25706 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
For me, it was 2 weeks larkim, or even less. I had already rested for a couple weeks, then I got given the exercise (by doc at the GP centre interestingly - he was a half marathon runner!). I kept doing it for about 4 weeks just to be sure. I was back to full training and racing again by then. Then I did it every now and again when I remembered and now only do it if I feel a twinge.

Isn't even a very time consuming exercise. My GP said it was "the only" exercise which can actually strength a tendon. An eccentric loading. It's basically the reverse of heel raises - slowly lower the heel (single leg), under tension from tippy toes, down to below the horizontal over 10-15s. Repeat x 10-15 and 2 sets per leg. Return to top with aid (you're not doing calf raises). Start with fewer, build up over the weeks. And add a weighted bar or belt, if you feel you're not getting stronger. I use a ballet bar (just happen to be one at the gym) and push myself down with hands, while resisting with the calf/Achilles.

Give me a shout if that's clear as mud! :-) G
Jun 2016
1:41pm, 3 Jun 2016
21454 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
There are three eccentric exercises I do which work. The secret is to not just do them when you have a problem, but make them a daily ritual. I can't find a link to where I found them but if I do I will post it
Jun 2016
9:29am, 4 Jun 2016
182 posts
  •  
Darting
I have just recovered from a damaged Achilles injury and after giving up on trying to force recovery I had a couple of months of Physio. The Physio gave me a recovery routine of heel lifts, stair climbers eventually leading to more dynamic exercise. The main thing is active rest and when ready slow, steady strengthening. For the last month I have used elliptical x trainers but that was only after the pain disappeared. Now the Achilles has mended its low mileage steady running for 2 months..... So far so good! The recovery to date has been over five months and I hope that it NEVER happens again.

Good luck to anyone who has this,

About This Thread

Maintained by Pace
Anyone got any ideas what might be causing my achilles pain. It has been with me about 6 weeks now, ...