Oh no, urgent advice required

0 watcher
Nov 2015
1:54am, 16 Nov 2015
1,584 posts
  •  
Mark J
So, I went out for a last long run yesterday (25k plod) before this weekend's Queenstown marathon. I've been nursing both legs through injury and have had various aches and pains in both legs/Achilles for the last couple of months. So, very much holding back in order to just make the start line. Yesterday, however, I got about 8k in and my right Achilles area started to feel very painful. Being the idiot I am, I thought I'd keep running until it went numb. It didn't. Equally, it didn't get any worse, though.

When I got into bed last night there was a small red area to the side of my Achilles and this morning it looked like this: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/gallery-showphoto.php?filename=20543_58062.jpg The Achilles itself feels ok today but the red area has grown and certainly feels bruised. The questions are, though; has anyone had this and do I still attempt to do the marathon next Saturday after a year's training for it?
Nov 2015
3:33am, 16 Nov 2015
1,586 posts
  •  
Mark J
Worth noting; this is not a rash or bite. I haven't applied anything to it either or itched at it. It feels far more bruised than it looks and it's not scratchy at all.
Nov 2015
8:31am, 16 Nov 2015
11,483 posts
  •  
mulbs
bad luck fella! I've no idea what you should/could do though - keeping my fingers crossed for you
Nov 2015
8:35am, 16 Nov 2015
252 posts
  •  
Flatlander
From the photo, it looks like cellulitis.
Queenstown, isn't that in New Zealand? Might you have brushed your leg against some vegetation that has caused a localised reaction?
Is the area warm, swollen and tender or painful to touch? If so, it could be an infection. You write that it is spreading. Draw a line on your skin around the edge of the redness so that you can see how quickly and by much it is getting larger. If it is an infection, you'll need to see your doctor to get some antibiotics.
Nov 2015
8:51am, 16 Nov 2015
50,870 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Yep, I agree it looks like cellulitis or some sort of allergic reaction.

You could try anti histamines, but if its spreading Id take a trip to the doc sooner rather than later
Nov 2015
12:15pm, 16 Nov 2015
251 posts
  •  
tonyp2604
Link to NHS page about cellulitis:
nhs.uk
Nov 2015
7:09pm, 16 Nov 2015
2,802 posts
  •  
PeterFay
Cellulitis likely (infection of soft tissues)
Definitely see GP urgently, sooner rather than later if spreading or feeling fluey
Nov 2015
7:41pm, 16 Nov 2015
1,587 posts
  •  
Mark J
Today it has turned a lovely shade of deep brown and purple. The bruising as expected has come out. Going to the doctor this morning. I don't think it's cellulitis because of the way it came on and the bruising. Will report back. Thanks all.
Nov 2015
9:08pm, 16 Nov 2015
1,588 posts
  •  
Mark J
Small tare in my gastrocnemius. Going to get it strapped up and as long as I don't try and break any records and treat my leg gently, I can still run Queenstown this coming weekend, phew. Alas no PB this weekend though.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

So, I went out for a last long run yesterday (25k plod) before this weekend's Queenstown marathon. ...