Achilles pain

36 watchers
Mar 2018
9:31am, 30 Mar 2018
32,375 posts
  •  
Nellers
Thread resurrection time.

I'm seeing the doc in about a week (first appointment I could get) because I think I've got Achilles Tendinopathy.

I've stopped running and cycling pending the proper diagnosis and what I expect/hope will be a referral to a physio. In the meantime I'm doing some swimming and some upper body weights to keep active.

THe achilles is sore a lot of the time at present (I know I've run on it more and for longer than I should and if you want the full story read my blog but I am where I am) so I'm not comfortable with starting to exercise it to strengthen yet. I'll take the expert advice on timing that when I see them.

In the meantime what other Cardio stuff can I do without aggravating it? Swimming is fine, as long as I don't kick off the wall with it.

Does anyone have experience with rowing machines? What else would be useable at the gym? I've just joined to get unlimited swimming but I can use the gym there too on my card.

Hope those of you that were on this thread back in '16 are all fully recovered and back on track by now.

Cheers.
Mar 2018
9:39am, 30 Mar 2018
4,292 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
I spent a lot of time on the exercise bike and spin classes when my Achilles was bad- it didn’t aggravate it and I think helped it heal as it increased the blood flow to the Achilles
Mar 2018
9:49am, 30 Mar 2018
2,549 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
This is by far the most thorough article I found on explaining what the problem is, what to do, and also what not to do. It's quite a long read, but worth grabbing a coffee and spending 15-20 mins
runningwritings.com

So in summary it's all about the eccentric heel drops, and note what is said at one point

"The patients were told to go ahead with the exercise even if they experienced pain. However, they were told to stop the exercise if the pain became disabling."

I found the usual 4*20, 3 times a day or whatever very easy and no pain, then I found another article that said the normal quota was for non-runners, but for runners to up the numbers due to increased strength in calfs etc, it suggested 3*80, 2 or 3 times a day. I managed this ok for first few days then added a quite heavy rucksack and was still able to do the high numbers.

For me it was about 3 weeks - 1st week let the initial pain subside and inflammation die down, 2nd week unloaded heel drops, 3rd week loaded heel drops. 4th week back running :-)

Good luck !
Mar 2018
6:49pm, 30 Mar 2018
91 posts
  •  
Steve72
I used a rowing machine a few years ago Nellers when I had to have a break from running. I found it tough but great exercise. Also tough mentally! Despite very good running fitness at the time I still found it very hard work to do 30 minutes. I'd definitely recommend giving it a go.
Mar 2018
6:49pm, 30 Mar 2018
92 posts
  •  
Steve72
Great post K5 Gus. Thanks mate.
Mar 2018
8:43pm, 30 Mar 2018
1,758 posts
  •  
FurryH
I'm waiting to see the GP after Easter for the I suspect the same thing. I've had it for a about a year and have backed off the running and now cycling as well. I have found that cross training is the best for me, it can give me the same high I used to get from running takes a bit longer though. Bought a third hand x trainer from gumtree.

Not aggravating it is difficult for me as I am not sure what sets it off. Can be fine for weeks the will be sore after driving to work. Mine has started creaking going up stairs when I thought so long off would have allowed it to recover.

I saw a private physio for a while which toned down the pain to almost away but would find it would return when I tried to return to running or increase levels of exercise.
Mar 2018
8:48pm, 30 Mar 2018
1,759 posts
  •  
FurryH
Oh and the way my physio stopped it being sore all the time was to do daily ice baths. Take three freezer blocks and place them in a bucket or bowl of water. Once its nice and chilly plunge your foot in for 10mins. Its not pleasant but did see a marked improvement in daily pain from doing that. I had a daily diet of heel drops for about six weeks until I ran out of money to keep going to the private physio.

Mine did improve just would start to dull ache in the mornings if I start to run or cycle for too long.
Mar 2018
9:02pm, 30 Mar 2018
1,760 posts
  •  
FurryH
Great article K5 Gus. Seems I have the insertional type. My physio did mention I had the non common version he mentioned the bursa as well. Great to see a full explanation.

Hadn't realised there were two versions of the heel drops as well. I have been doing the raise on good leg and drop on the bad.
Mar 2018
9:52pm, 31 Mar 2018
369 posts
  •  
totalbeginner
I was lucky as mine was triggered and settled within a couple of months. Do you have a self referral to physio programme in your area? Google to check. I was able to self refer myself for physio, much faster then going to doctor and waiting for them to refer. I left a message and the physio rang me back within a week I didn't get seen for another week or so but over the phone I was able to explain quite a lot and they gave me some tips which helped in the meantime. One of the tips was to wear a shoe with a slight heel, not as helpful for blokes but I'd not considered that. It did help as well. You might find a bike you will be ok and it won't make it worse,but have a low threshold to stop if you feel the discomfort getting worse. Good luck
Jul 2019
8:09pm, 9 Jul 2019
3,287 posts
  •  
mr d
Thread reboot!

Was sore last week, rested, stretchered iced over the weekend. Monday no pain, I ran and it was fine to start with, but sore after each interval (I'm stupid), this morning it was sore and is still hurting now, assuming this means a couple of months out minimum and goodbye to my summer running plans.

Will self refer though the NHS in the next day or so.

About This Thread

Maintained by Pace
Anyone got any ideas what might be causing my achilles pain. It has been with me about 6 weeks now, ...