What's the point of pyramids?

2 watchers
J2R
Sep 2017
10:23am, 4 Sep 2017
693 posts
  •  
J2R
(This is strictly a running question, so egyptologists need not reply.)

The pyramid is a mainstay of many training programmes. What is the training benefit that this provides? I ask because I train by myself pretty well all the time, and I tend to keep things simple and don't do stuff like this. I'll do 200 metre, 1km and 2.2km (actually 8 minute) repeats at certain paces, plus the usual easy runs, long runs, fartleks, but I don't really do structured sessions like pyramids. Could I be missing something? Or is it more a way of making hard work palatable for groups?
Sep 2017
11:11am, 4 Sep 2017
14,160 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I used to do them occasionally on the track or treadmill and I found them useful for easing up to a high speed in a much less abrupt way than, say, intervals. I'd generally end up doing more at a higher pace than I would otherwise (I found doing a proper tempo run in training hard.) Although I preferred progressive sessions on the track as I generally lacked the patience to come back down the pyramid (much easier when pressing buttons on the treadmill).

Specific training benefits? Well, I ran better then, though I wouldn't say it was due to some pyramid sessions. I viewed it as just another bit of variety. Though through the progressive runs and pyramids, I ended up with pretty solid pace judgement.

(When I saw the title, I thought it was from GregP, just setting up some variations on "that bit at the top".)
Sep 2017
2:41pm, 4 Sep 2017
11,082 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Interval training boosts speed - and the pyramid is one way of doing intervals of different lengths. The faster efforts push you out of your 'comfort zone' - because you have the recoveries you can run faster than you would do normally. Personally I find the structure suits me better than fartlek - I will keep going to the end of the relevant time whereas it's too easy to be vague in my head about when the harder bit of a fartlek ends! The mistake many runners make is not taking adequate recoveries in a speed session - so that instead of working on the lactate threshold you end up with an aerobic session instead. Also personally, I find pacing through a pyramid is a very good session - and coming back down the other side particularly as the recoveries are shorter.
J2R
Sep 2017
10:12am, 8 Sep 2017
697 posts
  •  
J2R
OK, thanks for the input. I suspect the way I do my intervals means that I'm probably already getting the benefits a pyramid session might bring. For my 1km and 8 minute (2.2km reps), I usually have 1-2 minute standing or walking recoveries, and for the shorter ones (typically 40 seconds) I have equal time slow jogging recoveries. I suppose the difference is that I typically won't vary my pace much within a given session, but I will do sessions of varying paces over a week. It's be interesting to know if the body handles this dfferently.

Autumnleaves, you mention working on the lactate threshold. What kind of pace are you talking about for that? I don't do much traditional tempo stuff, at lactate threshold these day - I'm a big believer in polarized training. I find I'm typically doing most of my longer fast stuff either around 10K pace, or maybe a little faster (but not 5K pace), and my shorter stuff (200-400m reps) at around 20-25 seconds per mile faster than 5K pace. Most of the rest of my running will be 2-3 minutes slower than 5K pace.
Sep 2017
11:27am, 8 Sep 2017
11,095 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Well I like speed sessions - I use the McMillan pace calculator to give me a guide for target times for the shorter reps - but for anything under 1km I work at more like my mile race pace, so it might be a bit quicker per mile than what you've done. However I too believe in polarized training - and as I train my own group of beginners a lot of my running is more like 4 minutes slower than my 5k race pace. I don't do much long fast running at all - probably one run a week that might have some tempo miles in the middle (at around 10k pace or half marathon target pace depending on how I feel).
J2R
Sep 2017
9:32am, 9 Sep 2017
698 posts
  •  
J2R
Actually, I do tend to do my shorter reps (200-400m) at pretty close to mile race pace, in fact - around 5:15 pace, sometimes a little faster. I'm aiming to be around vVO2max pace, in fact, which McMillan gives me as 5:13, but it's hard to hit it to the second.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by J2R
(This is strictly a running question, so egyptologists need not reply.)

The pyramid is a mainsta...