Do I have to go so slow?

4 watchers
Jul 2015
9:37pm, 14 Jul 2015
5 posts
  •  
jamesbriggs
Ha! This is getting very interesting. I just stuck my 5k pace into the attackpoint calculator and yes, my easy pace is 10:44 - 11:20 which puts the RW one at the faster end - albeit over a very short distance.

I will have a look at Furman. And yes, I should go to Parkrun. My local one is Wimpole which, as I remember, is a bit 'undulating'!
Jul 2015
9:49pm, 14 Jul 2015
2,166 posts
  •  
Molesy
Well short distance for run 1 week 1, on Sunday you'll be doing your long run at the same pace and next week you'll increase your pace and your distance.
Jul 2015
10:07pm, 14 Jul 2015
56 posts
  •  
falcarius
On pretty much all my half marathons I have done, I was doing something like the following:

First month - Tue-2M Thu-6M Sat- 3M (parkrun) Sun-8M
Second month - Tue-2M Thu8M Sat-3M(parkrun) Sun 8M
Last month - Tue- 2M Thu-8M Sat-3M (Parkrun) Sun-10M

parkrun =maximum effort and speed
2mile = 30 seconds slower maximum effort and speed

8 mile = As close as Half marathon pace as possible
10 mile = 1 minute slower per mile pace than expected half marathon pace.
Jul 2015
10:15pm, 14 Jul 2015
935 posts
  •  
TeeBee
My 10K and Half marathon PBs (still in place from 2008) were achieved following a runner's world smartcoach plan. Just saying :)
Jul 2015
8:19am, 15 Jul 2015
1,240 posts
  •  
Fitz
I've used RW Smartcoach many times to compile training programmes. I too find it comes with run paces that feel too slow, especially in the early days - things hot up later if you select hard training rather than maintenance.

What it is good for, especially for beginners, is getting into the routine of running 3-5 times per week, varying the pace and bringing in a bit of tempo and speed work. And of course you can tailor it to exactly the number of weeks to your chosen race goal.

I would say persevere with Smartcoach if those elements work for you, but have a few goes at setting the pace targets with reference to recent race times or even target race times.

Good luck.
Oct 2015
5:40pm, 11 Oct 2015
6 posts
  •  
jamesbriggs
Just checking back in...

So, with 12 weeks of Smartcoach during which I missed a week due to illness (fortunately an easy week) I just ran 2:00:00 – freakily bang on my target.

So from this sample of one I reckon it's not as bad as I thought!
Oct 2015
9:09pm, 11 Oct 2015
10,882 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Well done :-) You will have to update your "about me" now. And maybe put in your race portfolio.

PS did you do any parkruns?
Oct 2015
9:12pm, 11 Oct 2015
2,437 posts
  •  
Molesy
Well done JB bunting
Oct 2015
11:04am, 13 Oct 2015
8 posts
  •  
jamesbriggs
Never got to a Parkrun but I have a barcode and it's on my to-do list for before the end of the year. My son (8) wants to race too so I'm going to find a junior one for him too.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by jamesbriggs
Hello All.

Over the course of the last year I've built up to routinely running 15-20 miles a wee...