Whey protein, recovery drinks and all that stuff

3 watchers
Mar 2017
12:40pm, 8 Mar 2017
83 posts
  •  
MrMole
Just wondering what the wider fetch community does in this regard. I've always thought all the whey protein and such like was for muscly types, not runners (not that runners can't be muscly of course :)) but with running my first marathon at London I've been trying to take recovery and nutrition a little bit more seriously. Pray tell what do you all do?!
Mar 2017
1:04pm, 8 Mar 2017
1,877 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
After a long run in the morning, I tend to have a normal breakfast with a cup of tea or coffee. However, after a marathon I like to have a chocolate For Goodness Shakes.
Mar 2017
1:04pm, 8 Mar 2017
11,603 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Hi, I try to eat something within 30 mins of finishing a long run. Usually some type of sandwich and drink water. After a long soak in the bath I tend to eat whatever rubbish I have in the house, crisps and/or biscuits and cake with a cup of herbal tea. Not very healthy but need quick calories.
Mar 2017
1:09pm, 8 Mar 2017
7,153 posts
  •  
becca7
I have protein and carbs within 20 minutes and tend to favour proper food, rather than shakes. You don't need massive amounts of protein (about 1g of protein per kg of bodyweight is typical for a runner). Protein powders tend to be good if you have difficulty eating enough protein from other sources. However in a balanced diet there should normally be enough protein without needing to resort to this.
Mar 2017
1:27pm, 8 Mar 2017
22,288 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Peanut butter on toast and a pint mug of tea straight after a long run. I'm deeply suspicious of powders and anything that doesn't resemble actual food - which is what we evolved to be able to use. Caveat - I'm old, fat and slow and by no means a decent runner
Mar 2017
1:32pm, 8 Mar 2017
1,053 posts
  •  
fraggle
I'd rather have a few slices of ham or beef than one of those protein shakes (bleurgh!) and I can stomach protein bars, though they are a bit cardboard-y :-)
Peanut or almond butter on toast with tea sounds perfect HB :-)
Mar 2017
1:38pm, 8 Mar 2017
2,021 posts
  •  
gcwenn
When i ran my marathon i used High-5 recovery drink, chocolate flavour. And the only reason i used that was because it tasted bloody lovely with semi-skimmed milk!!!!
Mar 2017
1:38pm, 8 Mar 2017
31,290 posts
  •  
Nellers
Normally I'll have a nesquik milkshake with skimmed milk (pint or half pint depending how long a run) and a banana as soon as I'm done and before getting showered. I've never been convinced that the benefit of whey protein drinks and all that outweigh the cost.

I try to get some solid food in me as soon after the shower as I can too but sometimes struggle with that if it's been a particularly tough run (eg. after a Half Marathon). I've tended to find that savoury works better than sweet in these circumstances.
Mar 2017
1:45pm, 8 Mar 2017
1,394 posts
  •  
StuHolmes
Semi-skimmed milk + Hersheys syrup straight after a long run!

dcrainmaker.com
Mar 2017
2:16pm, 8 Mar 2017
35,742 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
All that whey protein and such like is a way for the dairy industry to make a profit out of a waste product from cheese manufacture. I'm not saying there aren't situations where supplemental protein might have small benefits for athletes, but for a runner it's most important to get enough calories and enough carbohydrate, and if you do that then unless you're wilfully careless the protein will look after itself from real food.

Besides, who ever talked themselves through the last hour of a long training run with the promise of a nice protein shake at the end?

About This Thread

Maintained by MrMole
Just wondering what the wider fetch community does in this regard. I've always thought all the whe...