•  
mrs shanksi
I can already imagine the cheer when Duchess gets her goblet star
Jun 2016
9:53pm, 22 Jun 2016
6,916 posts
  •  
Duchess
Kris Brown, the young american who was leading through the early checkpoints. He took a wrong turn between Tyndrum and BoO, then crashed and burnt after Glencoe. He came into KLL determined to quit and was "persuaded" to go for a sleep instead. A few hours and some food later and he's away to get his goblet.

Nowhere near the placing I think he was capable of, but we agreed the next evening that he'd come back and try again another year.

We had a lot of sleepers at KLL this year, I think the heat hurt a few people. Amazing what a bit of sleep does for folks.
Jun 2016
11:08pm, 22 Jun 2016
223 posts
  •  
Bonio
Wey hey! Hello all. Caught up with the postings.

An amazing few days have passed. Congratulationd to Stoosh on a fantastic time.

Did I get a hug At KLL? Think I got kicked out again, after we tried to say we weren't going any further... 😜😜
Goblet in pride of place on the mantlepiece. Looking for a mate...
Jun 2016
12:31am, 23 Jun 2016
6,918 posts
  •  
Duchess
Oh, you definitely got a hug at KLL! And if you'd said that, I'd have marched you over the Lharig Mor myself...

That's the trouble with goblets, they don't seem to like being on their own....
Jun 2016
8:13am, 23 Jun 2016
7,313 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
So pleased for you Bonio! Of course you must do it again x

I'm going for number 4 in 2017 and I can't wait for the ballot to open
Jun 2016
9:13am, 23 Jun 2016
25,744 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Nothing wrong with a solo goblet. It looks very pretty by itself, thank you!

Interesting that Kris was looking to pull out. He looked so strong at BoO. Where did he turn wrong? Was it going under the bridge out of Auchtertyre? Or along the riverside path? There are a couple of bits there you could miss. Such a shame. Though I'm delighted for James. I did give him a wee hint of how many minutes ahead Kris was ahead at BoO. :-) G
Jun 2016
12:31pm, 23 Jun 2016
6,919 posts
  •  
Duchess
As I understand it, he went wrong at the farm at the bottom of the valley between Tyndrum and BoO and headed off towards the viaduct (down Glen Lyon?). I got to that point on a run the week before the Fling and thought it was slightly confusing so I can imagine how he might have done it. I don't think he got too far off course, but enough to have dropped down to third by the checkpoint and 25 minutes behind James.
Jun 2016
1:09pm, 23 Jun 2016
224 posts
  •  
Bonio
I stupidly missed a turn at the eco place before Rowardenen! Knew it didn't look familiar! Probably added another mile. Doh!
Jun 2016
2:30pm, 23 Jun 2016
25,748 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Oh yes, I know where you mean. I was thinking Auchtertyre to Tyndrum. Not much chance to go wrong there.

To be honest, I think having local knowledge and knowing the route is so beneficial. It would be a nightmare to be a front runner, no support, 60 miles in and to not be sure about the route. Having said that, I suppose if you were new to the route and wanted to win, you might be wise to study the route and maybe write yourself some notes on a map and drag it around with you, just in case? :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by STOOSH
Thought it would be nice to start a thread on fetch for this year's race :) :)G can't be doing it...