Standing at work

2 watchers
May 2015
12:43pm, 20 May 2015
1,240 posts
  •  
EarlyRiser
Like many of us, I used to be an office-bound worker sat in front of a computer screen. I wasn't always but that's life. Six weeks ago I stood up to work instead. I was vaguely aware of the craze/fad/whatever for standing desks. And the supposed health benefits (or not.) I just saw it as another idea to help recover race-fitness. After a first week of aching balls (on my feet) I'm well into it now. I wouldn't switch back. For me it's about good posture, trunk stability and active muscle engagement.

Who else does this? Is it good? Is it bad? Search online for say 'standing at work' and there's a ton of views out there.
May 2015
12:47pm, 20 May 2015
737 posts
  •  
Jubear
Our office has riser desks so we can sit, stand, crouch whatever... About 50% of use the stand-up option regularly, the rest don't know what that switch does :-)
For me, when my back's niggly, or I need to stretch a quad or a calf, it's a godsend
May 2015
12:47pm, 20 May 2015
19,247 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I want a standing desk at work, unfortunately I don't have a room of my own and use any one of three each of which have a main occupant who isn't me so it wouldn't be feasible
May 2015
12:54pm, 20 May 2015
9,586 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Interesting. I'll ask my facilities department to look into them. That should cause some consternation. However, I could imagine feeling a little conspicuous in our open plan office if I was the only person using one.
May 2015
12:54pm, 20 May 2015
9,587 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Interesting. I'll ask my facilities department to look into them. That should cause some consternation. However, I could imagine feeling a little conspicuous in our open plan office if I was the only person using one.
May 2015
12:58pm, 20 May 2015
1,242 posts
  •  
EarlyRiser
I'm the only one too Diogenes. But it's only a small business and there is a fitness ethos here. Looks like others might join me. Anyway - you get to look down on others! ;-)
May 2015
12:59pm, 20 May 2015
880 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
One colleague has his desk set up so he can stand or sit.

I'm getting pain in my left lower back and upper right arm/shoulder. Possibly RSI related and I might look at getting a work station assessment from Occupational Health. I don't like sitting at my desk for too long, so this might be all round solution, perhaps.
May 2015
1:11pm, 20 May 2015
11,324 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
Thought I'd do it when I started working from home, but it never happened.
May 2015
1:21pm, 20 May 2015
4,988 posts
  •  
Rosehip
If you are ever prone to PF then watch you have good shoes on for work. I think standing/walking all day is parlty to blame for my sore heel.
May 2015
1:25pm, 20 May 2015
12,876 posts
  •  
The Teaboy
It would certainly help my dancing along to tunes while I'm working. Could get my groove on properly!

About This Thread

Maintained by EarlyRiser
Like many of us, I used to be an office-bound worker sat in front of a computer screen. Six weeks ago I stood up to work instead.