Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

SpreadEveryone: The Fetchland Excel wire

86 watchers
um
7 Oct
5:30pm, 7 Oct 2021
5250 posts
  •  
um
I'd use vlookup ... but I'd be castigated for that here !

Or if you just want to look, open both windows at once and view side by side. With sync'd or independent scrolling as desired.
7 Oct
6:24pm, 7 Oct 2021
4854 posts
  •  
run free
Set up some relationships with the tables. See the Data

Relationships
You can then do a side by side using PivotTables

Or do as Um says
7 Oct
6:32pm, 7 Oct 2021
15674 posts
  •  
larkim
I want to be able to distribute it so window viewing isn't really an option. And a lookup wouldn't exactly work as there will be records in set A that don't have a corresponding record in set B, but I need both of those records to display.

If this was in Access I could easily create a report to do it but I suppose that's not different to creating a single big table with all of the data in it and a helper column to identify which is data set A and which is data set B. I can do that and get a workable pivot table, but it's not quite what I want visually.
um
7 Oct
6:40pm, 7 Oct 2021
5251 posts
  •  
um
Assuming employee id is unique and 'complete', I'd merge & sort on that in a new sheet, then use vlookup (with blanks if not found as opposed to errors, or tagging to how whic data sets it's in and only look up if there) to display the data?
It means it reports all on a new sheet, but is that the same as creating a new merged set of data?
7 Oct
9:22pm, 7 Oct 2021
15675 posts
  •  
larkim
Yep, that sort of workflow is ok. Was just hoping there was a new thing in Excel as I've not caught up lots of the new stuff like slicers and other data tools so wondered if something in there might work.
7 Oct
10:10pm, 7 Oct 2021
4855 posts
  •  
run free
Larkin look at using power query. Should give you what you want just like access
7 Oct
10:12pm, 7 Oct 2021
4856 posts
  •  
run free
It’s in your Data tab think it is Transform & Query group. Or Query. Sorry don’t have it in front of me
8 Oct
6:48am, 8 Oct 2021
15676 posts
  •  
larkim
Thanks, will take a look!

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by John66
This is bugging me, I'm sure it should be much easier

A1 has 25/6/2010
B1 has 24/6/2013

So t...