Running to stand still - Treadmill runners thread

7 watchers
Aug 2012
9:44pm, 22 Aug 2012
3 posts
  •  
DavidM
Totally new to this running game, but I started walking, then walking interspersed with running and then finally running, all on a treadmill. I've taken it relatively slowly and built up. The treadmill gives me control over my speed and also if anything goes wrong I've got my car outside to get me home.
I've now just started with outdoor runs and my speed is erratic, the discipline needed to control your speed is something I do not have. I've just invested in a Garmin Forerunner 410 in the hope that will help me control my speed to a more consistent level.
Treadmills also help with my dodgy knees, as running 4 times a week outdoor on a regular basis would certainly take its toll.
Aug 2012
10:50pm, 22 Aug 2012
9,498 posts
  •  
Stander
Not during school holidays when I can barely get a cance to do any running at all, let alone on a treadmill, but outside of that I regularly do mid-week runs on a treaddie.

I can just about squeeze and hour's run + shower in between finishing work and getting home in time for boy to get home on the shcool bus.

I also find them very helpful when coming back from injury and/or period of not running as I can more easily measure improvement.
I will for instance do 8 mins + 2 min walk x a No of reps then built up both the reps, run portion of that time and reduce walk element.
It's amazing how quickly improvement can be seen in mere weeks and is big motivator.

I do sweat like a rapist in a line up though indoors compared to the big outside world - which is my preferred running arena.
Aug 2012
9:50am, 23 Aug 2012
13,677 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I do intervals and threshold/tempo runs on the treadie- anything that requires a set pace. I used to get bored, but its no problem now.

I do them at 1%, mostly because it feels right. I think the discussions about incline and how running on a treadmill is easier than the road have grumbled on and nobody really knows (though plenty of people think they do). I think the incline allows me to grade myself too. When I first step up to a higher pace I often cant manage at 1% and have to back down. As I get used to it over a few weeks I can run more at 1%. When I am confy at the set pace at 1% its time to move up to the next level.
Aug 2012
9:57am, 23 Aug 2012
28,577 posts
  •  
Toks
I have used the Treddy for so many year since 2002 actually while my eldest was young as that is how I can get training in. I use it for short runs one hour to 2 hours run maximum though more than 2 hours ones outdoors. I have not been on my Treddy for 6 months or so now becos I am enjoying running outdoors for the moment but when the dark nights beginning I will go back to it :-)

I am on my second Treddy as the first one got so slow and kept stopping on me :-0 so you can say I am a heavy user of Treddy :-)
Aug 2012
10:00am, 23 Aug 2012
113 posts
  •  
AndrewS
I think that there is some concern that too much incline is tough on the achilles and that has been the problem.
I feel that 0% feels a bit like running downhill because there is no wind resistance when running on the treadmill. IMO 1% feels a bit more 'realistic' in this sense. And 1% is surely not going to be a problem to the achilles, is it?
Aug 2012
10:02am, 23 Aug 2012
2,153 posts
  •  
Kimbles
I use it for intervals sessions now only. Although I first started running using a treadmill. I did try to use the treadmill at our work's gym the other night and I think it may have a slight calibration issue, cause at the speed it was going at and what it should have been were way out. The Bolt man himself would have been proud but I dont think the work would have been best pleased at the Kimbles shaped hole in the wall when I just about flew off it :-O
Aug 2012
10:06am, 23 Aug 2012
10,428 posts
  •  
Naomi P
You're probably right on the incline Andrew

Calibration is perhaps quite important if you're fussed about speed. Someone I used to know used to take the piss relentlessly for my using a treadmill saying it was easier than running outside.

If it's easier than running outside, then why hasn't someone run a sub 2 hour marathon on one yet?

It's not necessarily easier, it's different.
Aug 2012
10:10am, 23 Aug 2012
13,681 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I use the ones at the gym, some are definitely easier than others, so I just stick to the ones I perceive as hard. I am told they are all accurately calibrated, but who knows?
In terms of equivalence with road running, I use paces calculated by a Jack Daniel's plan, and what I do on the tready correlates well with what I can achieve on race day on the road.
Aug 2012
10:11am, 23 Aug 2012
862 posts
  •  
wiener dog
Agree with you Naomi - I find it HARDER if anything to run on a treadmill. I am not sure if it's to do with the heat, boredom, or the fact that I am trying to keep a consistant pace, but I know for a fact that I can run faster outside because when it's been a measured distance I get a better time outside. Maybe I'm just a weirdo?
Aug 2012
10:13am, 23 Aug 2012
28,578 posts
  •  
Toks
Not a WD, just each to their own, I must say I have enjoyed running outdoors for the last couple of months and really not looking forward to running on the Treddy :-0

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I am curious to know how many people on here regularly use the treadmill to do their runs?
Being so...