Running to stand still - Treadmill runners thread

7 watchers
Aug 2012
3:11pm, 20 Aug 2012
91 posts
  •  
AndrewS
True, and still holds a conversation!

Thinking about it, it must be dependent on the speed you are running at. The faster you run, the more air resistance....
Aug 2012
3:12pm, 20 Aug 2012
48,393 posts
  •  
Gobi
Run on zero due to achillies issues.

Never do hills on treadmill
Aug 2012
3:15pm, 20 Aug 2012
10,421 posts
  •  
Naomi P
Same, I'd rather sacrifice the speed than stress my achilles. If you're running outside, it's unlikely that you'll be running at 2% or 3% or whatever for the whole thing. So why do it on a treadmill?
Aug 2012
3:19pm, 20 Aug 2012
2,378 posts
  •  
lunaman
Good to know - I'm usually at 0 - 0.5%, ditched the 2% idea a while back.
PQ
Aug 2012
3:36pm, 20 Aug 2012
4,844 posts
  •  
PQ
I use the treadmill once per week for intervals. As previously said, it forces you to keep the pace consistent and as a result ( I believe ), when I race I usually pace myself very well
Aug 2012
4:39pm, 20 Aug 2012
4,968 posts
  •  
Woffy
I actually like the treadmill, in fact one of my favourite recent sessions is to run a loop from my house that arrives at the gym after about 5 miles of running, go straight up and do an hour on the treadmill (with some faster intervals in) and then finish the loop with about 2 miles home, generally about 14 - 15 miles of running.

Always 0% for me, I use hills if I want hill work.
Aug 2012
5:13pm, 20 Aug 2012
10,422 posts
  •  
Naomi P
That reminds me, I used to do my long runs partly on a treadmill. Go out and run 15 miles outside, then get to the gym and run the final 5 miles at target marathon pace on the treadmill. Really helped in the last few miles of a marathon.
Aug 2012
6:00pm, 20 Aug 2012
2,379 posts
  •  
lunaman
That's a great one Naomi - might try that - motivating to run at pace in the full glare of the gym.
Aug 2012
6:06pm, 20 Aug 2012
859 posts
  •  
wiener dog
I don't dislike treadmills - I loathe cold weather, detest ice/snow and even ran on a treadmill yesterday to avoid the blazing sun which made me feel sick on Saturdays run. Last wk-end I did a sponsored treadmill marathon but I usually use the treadmill for intervals and for hill work because we have very few hills around here and I have no garmin so wouldn't know if I was hitting the pace for speedwork without a treadmill - also for me it's a case of disapline as I know if I was trying to do hills or speedwork outside I would just plod, ona treadmill as long as I don't alter the pace I HAVE to do it or will fall off!
Sometimes also it's nice to run next to a mate at the gym and chat even though you both run at totally different speeds
I have made quite good gains fro doing ALL my speedwork on treadmills and have actually find it physically and mentally harder so when I do run outside or in a race I find it helps as unlike most people I can actually run faster outside.

I know if it's icy out I would def rather run on a nice safe rubber belt than b*llox over!
Aug 2012
8:23pm, 20 Aug 2012
96 posts
  •  
AndrewS
Interesting stuff!
I like the idea that it helps with discipline (which seems to be a recurring theme here). I, however use the treadmill to stop myself from running too fast!
As I am returning to this running malarky after an extended period away, I am coming back really slowly so as not to reawaken the injury that put me out of the game in the first place.
I did some runs outside, but even with the Garmin I still found myself running too fast and I could feel the pull of the old injury. However, I tried the treadmill at the gym and set it at a slower speed and have found that I can run further without any problems. So, until I am stronger and can run faster without problems then I shall be doing all my runs on the treadie.
Seeing the responses so far has made me realise that beyond this, there still be some benefit in adding treadmill sessions to my weekly routine.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I am curious to know how many people on here regularly use the treadmill to do their runs?
Being so...