Running rucksack for smaller women

5 watchers
Feb 2013
11:51am, 4 Feb 2013
6,601 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
I'm looking for a hydration rucksack with a volume of about 12l (plus bladder). Since I'm a picky Apple, the list of features I'd like it to have is quite long: ok in light rain (I'm happy to put on a cover in heavy rain, but taking it on and off in light rain sounds like a bit of a pain.), pockets on hip belt, durable/robust, ideally more than one internal pocket as well as an outside mesh pocket for an additional bottle.

However, most importantly, it needs to fit. I've been to a number of shops and none of them had a rucksack that ticked all the following boxes: shoulder straps not too far apart, shoulder straps fastening tight enough, hip belt fastening tight enough, chest strap tight enough and adjustable and/or in the right place anyway.

I was hoping that a women-specific rucksack might fit better, so am planning on trying on this one tomorrow: runandbecome.com

I quite like the look of this one as it has all the features I'm looking for and seems less 'bulky': http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/xa-10-3-exp-insulated-set-w.html, but can't seem to find a shop that stocks it.

Does anyone have any experience with these particular rucksacks or any other ones that come in a small fit? Any recommendations? Thanks!
Feb 2013
12:09pm, 4 Feb 2013
8,361 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
Spicey - wiggle have it wiggle.co.uk

I'd be interested in how you get on. How tall are you? I'm 5' 10" so tend to find that "women specific" packs are shorter in the back which doesn't suit me.

I have the raidlight one wiggle.co.uk it doesn't quite get tight enough around my waist - almost, but it is at maximum. (I'm a size 8)
Feb 2013
12:50pm, 4 Feb 2013
6,602 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
Thanks, Lilaicha! A few online shops stock it, but I'd rather go to a 'real' shop as I'd really want to try it on first.

Which Raidlight one is it you've got (Both links are for the Salomon one.)?

I'm 165cm - can't do feet, sorry.

The Inov8 RacePro 12 was perfect in terms of back length - but like an oversized race t-shirt in the shoulder straps.
Feb 2013
1:41pm, 4 Feb 2013
8,362 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
Oops! Sorry!

Here is the correct link! racekit.co.uk

Wiggle do free returns (via Collect+) if that's any help. (Delivery is free too)
Feb 2013
2:00pm, 4 Feb 2013
1,303 posts
  •  
Lisa T
I don't think you can beat the OMM Last drop. I have an old whiplash injury & always struggled to carry packs but can manage this one fine. I'm 5ft 10 (178 I think) & size10.

theomm.com
Feb 2013
2:07pm, 4 Feb 2013
6,605 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
Thank you both!

Lilaicha, I don't much like the idea of having a bottle in that position, I have to say - I have a feeling it would get in the way of my arms... Are the shoulder straps close enough together for you?

Lisa, I've looked at the OMM Last Drop in the shops, but it seemed a bit on the small side for me. (In terms of volume, not fit, that is - I might be a small(ish) girl, but I need to carry a lot of useless stuff. ;-))
Feb 2013
2:08pm, 4 Feb 2013
8,364 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
I've heard the last drop is good, but I don't think it has hip/waist pockets does it?
Feb 2013
2:11pm, 4 Feb 2013
1,304 posts
  •  
Lisa T
Now I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure it is compatible with their waist pack. You can join the two together.
Feb 2013
2:13pm, 4 Feb 2013
3,231 posts
  •  
Wine Legs
It doesn't. I have that one, and also the larger OMM, which does have waist pockets. Both good for someone with a short back...
Feb 2013
2:13pm, 4 Feb 2013
3,232 posts
  •  
Wine Legs
I have a chest pack for the small OMM - well it would fit on any OMM, but I use it with the wee yellow one.

About This Thread

Maintained by SpicedApple
I'm looking for a hydration rucksack with a volume of about 12l (plus bladder). Since I'm a picky ...