Running rucksack for smaller women

5 watchers
Feb 2013
2:45pm, 4 Feb 2013
4,300 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
The OMM last drop connects with the Ultra Waist pouch (sort of), but you have to buy both separately.

I use my bum bag a lot, but my last drop rucksack only sparingly, because it sits a bit too high up my back most of the time.

I bought myself a 22l Talon Osprey for walking/MMing, which is a bit heavier than the Inov8 and OMM rucksacks, because it has a structured back, but I absolutely love it and it's great for commuting for me.

They do a smaller (12l?) version, but don't know what it's called - and they do them in a men's and women's fit. But I don't know what the major differences are. I only tried the men's version.

In general, I have the same problem with all running rucksacks in that the waist belt is too high and doesn't go round my exceedingly skinny waist very well, and thus the pack moves around too much. It still does this with the Talon, but it's far, far better than anything else I've tried in the past.
Feb 2013
2:50pm, 4 Feb 2013
4,301 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Sorry, brain not working. Osprey is the brand name of course. Talon is the model name.

7l version gooutdoors.co.uk
4l version gooutdoors.co.uk
10l version gooutdoors.co.uk
14l version gooutdoors.co.uk
Feb 2013
3:11pm, 4 Feb 2013
6,606 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
Hip pockets are rather important for me (I spend ages taking off my rucksack, locating snacks, putting it back on again etc, so would very much like to do it without having to take off the rucksack.), which is why I didn't even try on the Osprey 10l. Didn't see the 14l version in the shops (only a larger one (18l?) - which was too wide in the shoulders).

Does the Osprey rucksacks being heavier mean they're also sturdier? I'd hate to spend so much money on a rucksack and then damage it by running into a tree or putting the keys in the wrong place...

Wine Legs, now I wonder whether I have a short/normal/long back... - I have no idea!

I'd definitely prefer the belt just above the hips to around the waist though - need to breathe! ;-)
Feb 2013
3:14pm, 4 Feb 2013
15,007 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Raidlight 10.
I am not a girl, but I have seen lots of girls wearing them. I reckon its a bit bigger than 10 to be honest.
Feb 2013
3:42pm, 4 Feb 2013
4,547 posts
  •  
becca7
I have the Raidlight one and I am somewhat small framed. No problems with where the bottle is and the zipped pocket at the front is great for phone, snacks etc plus there are other compartments that can be reached without having to take the pack off.
Feb 2013
3:57pm, 4 Feb 2013
6,607 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
Cheers, Johnny and Becca!

Looks like tRaidlight are now doing the Raidlight 14l instead of the Raidlight 10l (?).

For those using the Raidlight, did you notice any difference with the bladder being in the front pocket rather than along your back? I would have thought that it would be good to have the heavier things (i.e., water) nearer the body, and that it would also prevent things from sticking into one's back?
Feb 2013
4:19pm, 4 Feb 2013
342 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Check out the Ultraspire range too - they do several sizes (from memory). The OMM waist belt is for 30"+ waist ;)
Feb 2013
4:25pm, 4 Feb 2013
6,608 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
30''+?! Thanks for the warning - no need to look into it then! :-o

Googled a bit and warming to the Raidlight (I used to know someone using a Raidlight backpack and always thought it looked rather loose, but maybe that's just because they didn't like to tighten the straps.). Lilaicha saying that it doesn't quite get tight enough around the waist makes me think it might not be right for me though. Again, can't seem to find a local shop stocking it so I could try it on...
Feb 2013
4:32pm, 4 Feb 2013
343 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Best bet for trying them on is to hang around an ultra somewhere and ask for a go - very few shops with stock of the nicer packs. I think runners need stock the OMM ones for what it's worth. I think Avon had a source for the Ultraspire ones - he reviewed them in an early issue of Ultratails.
Feb 2013
4:54pm, 4 Feb 2013
2,247 posts
  •  
emdee
I'd highly recommend the Salomon S-Lab 12 pack. I've used a much older Salomon pack and a Raidlight and had the same issues as you - could never get them to fit/sit right. This is a real pleasure to wear and fits very well - no bouncing or rubbing at all. The downside is that it's expensive, but tbh I think it's worth it.

You can get these and the Ultraspire ones from the ultramarathonrunningstore - ultramarathonrunningstore.com - and, if you look in Ultra Tales - ultratales.wordpress.com - there's a discount code.

About This Thread

Maintained by SpicedApple
I'm looking for a hydration rucksack with a volume of about 12l (plus bladder). Since I'm a picky ...