Running rucksack for smaller women

5 watchers
Feb 2013
3:54pm, 15 Feb 2013
6,659 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
I've now been able to try on both the Salomon XA 10+3 and the Gregory Navarino 12l. The shoulder straps of both don't go tight enough either...

Also tried on the OMM Last Drop and the OMM 12l again - chest strap in completely the wrong place (in spite of it being adjustable).

I hadn't expected this rucksack malarkey to be so complicated... Short of sewing some sort of padding underneath the shoulder straps or cutting them off and then sewing them together again, there doesn't seem to be any rucksack that would fit me... (Of course, if you have any other suggestions, they'd still be greatly appreciated!)
Feb 2013
4:12pm, 15 Feb 2013
357 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Have you looked at the raidlight olmo? I have the 5l one, and it's small on me.
Feb 2013
4:17pm, 15 Feb 2013
6,661 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
I'm looking for something bigger than that, mblnFERCr - around 12l. Liliaicha has the Raidlight 12l one and kindly gave me the details of how tight the straps go (as none of the shops around here seem to stock it) - not tight enough for me, unfortunately.
Feb 2013
4:29pm, 15 Feb 2013
8,405 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
SA - have you looked here? ultramarathonrunningstore.com

I get the impression that they can give advice over the phone - probably what I'm going to do when I can afford a new one :)
Feb 2013
6:04pm, 15 Feb 2013
358 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Should be relatively easy to get the nearest pack to your requirements and have the shoulder straps shortened... it's only sewing after all - provided the padding (if there is any on your pack of choice) and straps line up :)
Feb 2013
12:24am, 16 Feb 2013
6,662 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
Liliaicha, I've had a look at their website before and didn't really see anything I liked (and most of their rucksacks are *very* expensive, too), but will have another look. After having tried on so many different rucksacks, I'm not keen on ordering online though (even if they advised over the phone - fit of rucksacks seems like a more personal thing than I'd have imagined).

mblnFERCr, I was thinking of that, too... However, I'm useless with sewing and wouldn't even have a clue of where to start. And definitely wouldn't want to mess up a brandnew rucksack! :-o
Feb 2013
12:09pm, 16 Feb 2013
359 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Check with your local camping shop - ours can fix just about anything. I think you said there was a pack you liked, but the straps were too long? to test the theory take a few safety pins and double the straps up at the attachment point until they're the right length and see if it's comfy. Then it's just a case of finding someone to make the change permanent (or not - you could just stitch across the strap without cutting.... :)
Feb 2013
11:24am, 18 Feb 2013
1,441 posts
  •  
Lyns
Have you tried children's camelbaks spiced? They do quite a reasonable range, though never huge capacity (obviously). There are a lot to try in mountain bike shops like alpine bikes in innerleithen or even the one at glentress peel centre... think there are a few at edinburgh bike co-op too. I use biking rucksacks for running as in both cases I need the 'hip' belt to actually be more at waist height (as opposed to hip height which is fine for walking).
Feb 2013
1:44pm, 19 Feb 2013
7 posts
  •  
touie
Have you had a look at the Nathan womans hydration vest, sometimes hard to find in stock but is an excellent fit, it is in fact the only pack I have found that is a perfect fit! amazon.co.uk

I also have the salomon s-lab 12 pack which has great storage bit is slightly too long on me and can cause some waist rubbing, easily sorted with body glide or duct tape!!!

I have an OMM 10l pack too which as you say has a stupidly placed chest strap!
Feb 2013
1:46pm, 19 Feb 2013
8 posts
  •  
touie
in stock on this link amazon.co.uk

About This Thread

Maintained by SpicedApple
I'm looking for a hydration rucksack with a volume of about 12l (plus bladder). Since I'm a picky ...