Pre-race diets

2 watchers
Sep 2015
8:44am, 25 Sep 2015
1,566 posts
  •  
Mark J
So I know there's a plethora of standard advice out there for pre-race diet rituals and best practices but I'd like to know what "normal" human beings actually do, and what actually works. So I thought I'd go for the less than scientific approach and ask you lot.

Things I'd like to know:
1/ Do you follow a strict pre-race diet pattern? Carb loading, fat loading, other?
2/ How far out from the race do you start it?
3/ Do you give up specific things and how afr out for those too?
4/ Have you tried various diets and have plumped for one because it gave you proven better results (as best you can prove in a none scientific way)?
5/ Or do you just eat and drink as normal and still get great results? (you bastard)

Thanks,

Marj
Sep 2015
9:47am, 25 Sep 2015
6,973 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
1) - No, other than carb loading the day before which can't really be counted as a diet
2) See above!
3) I have periodically cut out bread/gluten (digestive issues) but after reading an article about ensuring a varied diet I've tried this approach recently and it seems just as effective if not more so.
4) No - at my level of running I'd be surprised it was worth the faff of cooking different meals for different members of the family
5) Largely yes - don't drink alcohol the days before a race, traditionally something like lasagne the night before. I don't know if you would class my results as 'great' but they're ok for me!
Sep 2015
9:53am, 25 Sep 2015
11,293 posts
  •  
Ultracat
1) no
2) no
3) cut down on alcohol.

4) cut out gluten and dairy most of the time and I feel much better on it.
5) I tend to eat my normal diet in run up to marathon. Having to eat out the night before can cause problems. I take my own breakfast.
Sep 2015
10:03am, 25 Sep 2015
57,267 posts
  •  
Gobi
I eat the same food as I do through normal training. There is no need to carb load as the taper and normal patterns ensure I am ready.

That said my last 2 dinners are usually

Steak 2 days out
Chicken pasta the night before

But then I probably eat red meat most Fridays and pasta most Saturdays unless I have Pizza
Sep 2015
10:08am, 25 Sep 2015
6,912 posts
  •  
simbil
^^ First para is what I do too. I don't eat much meat though.

Pre-race is basically the whole training period apart from your off-season rest :)
Sep 2015
10:24am, 25 Sep 2015
57,268 posts
  •  
Gobi
Similar - I am not an excessive red meat eater but it has a place :-)
Sep 2015
12:31pm, 25 Sep 2015
10,816 posts
  •  
Dvorak
1-4 no/ n/a
5 yes though I wouldn't describe the results as great ;-)

In relative terms though, some of my best results have come after the "least likely to feature in pre-race prep advice articles" conditions.

Basically don't turn up at the start pissed/hungover/ with dodgy guts, but feel relaxed and warmed up. The day before just eat and drink decently and don't overindulge; and avoid spicy foods. And don't tire yourself out. Advice may vary for performance/ long distance athletes.
Sep 2015
2:23pm, 25 Sep 2015
223 posts
  •  
tonyp2604
My answers:
1/ Do you follow a strict pre-race diet pattern? Carb loading, fat loading, other?
A - Not strict but do load up on carbs for about 4 days before race (I am assuming we are talking about long races such as half/full marathons here). I wouldn't bother changing my diet for any races such as 10k/10 miles and shorter.

2/ How far out from the race do you start it?
A - see 1; 4 days for full mara, but only 1/2 for half.

3/ Do you give up specific things and how afr out for those too?
A - Not really except alcohol for a few days before. I also try to avoid anything overly spicy/very fibrous to avoid a dodgy stomach the couple of days before.

4/ Have you tried various diets and have plumped for one because it gave you proven better results (as best you can prove in a none scientific way)?
A - Not really - I just tend to stick to what I do which is based on what I have read.

5/ Or do you just eat and drink as normal and still get great results? (you bastard)
A - see above - although I do tend to drink a bit more water than normal I suppose.
Sep 2015
5:39pm, 25 Sep 2015
17 posts
  •  
Komodo
The day before I try to go for a bigger lunch and not so big evening meal. Or at least try to get the evening meal eaten by 7. No alcohol the day before and keep well hydrated too.
Sep 2015
7:16pm, 25 Sep 2015
6,533 posts
  •  
100forRNIB
To be honest, apart from the obvious and not over indulging with the alcoholic beverages I've not detected a difference. But with marathoning running so many things can go wrong (or right) what you eat is minor in the overall picture. Last meal the night before a marathon is normally fish and chips as that doesn't have any digestive issues!! ;-)

About This Thread

So I know there's a plethora of standard advice out there for pre-race diet rituals and best practi...