Carbs/fat/protein % for runners?

0 watcher
Feb 2017
10:03pm, 20 Feb 2017
10,713 posts
  •  
Sombrero
I'm using MyFitnessPal to help me watch what I eat. It's a great little app, and it's already helped me shift a few lbs in a week just by thinking a bit more about what I'm eating.

It automatically goes for 50% fat, 30% carbs, 20% protein but I was wondering what a fun runner like me should aim for?

I average 20-25 miles a week (when I haven't got a crappy cold etc), and have started doing boxing/boxercise once or twice a week too.

Any thoughts out there?
Feb 2017
10:36pm, 20 Feb 2017
35,535 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
As someone who does a significant amount of exercise, you might be better reversing the fat and carbohydrate percentages. The protein percentage is higher than necessary unless you're aiming for a calorie deficit with a view to losing weight, in which case a protein intake as high as 25-30% of total calories can help you feel less hungry and has a (very small) muscle-sparing effect.
Feb 2017
11:03pm, 20 Feb 2017
5,984 posts
  •  
The_Saint
50% fat?
Feb 2017
11:45pm, 20 Feb 2017
10,714 posts
  •  
Sombrero
Sorry - 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein.........
Nov 2019
7:09pm, 9 Nov 2019
18,235 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I'm probably about 60-65% carbs, 20-25 % fat and 10-15% protein. Usually at the lower end for protein. That's currently fuelling a somewhat fluffy physique to around ninety minutes a day of largely easy to moderate exercise, with a 30-ish parkrun and a fair bit of elevation.

My muscles aren't noticeably wasting away with that, nor is my middle. When i blogged about my daily diet once, a notable Fetchie (and fish fan) described it "stodgy" and she may a bit right.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sombrero
I'm using MyFitnessPal to help me watch what I eat. It's a great little app, and it's already hel...