POSE running

99 watchers
Jan 2015
9:46am, 30 Jan 2015
23,975 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Plb - yes, I got VFF Bikila with my MotM prize back in 2010/11! I have to say, I wear them in the gym, but not for running. For barefoot running, I do a mile or two, once a week, in summer just running on the grass in the park.

I wore fairly minimal shoes for most of my marathon training and races up until 2013 though - Inov-8 F-lite 230, 220 and 195s. I was happy with them for all terrain, and even did the Devil o the Highlands (43 mile rocky ultra on WHW route). The only problem for rocky terrain is feeling your toes and soles of feet getting bashed. And that's not really anything to do with running form.

So now for those types of runs I wear huge, cushioned Hokas! From the sublime to the ridiculous! Hope you get hooked up with someone re. running form. Pose, Chi or any other (there is one called Kinetic Revolution or something - Sarah Louise Grigor up in Inverness might be something to do with that, not sure. Doesn't help, cos it's still not Glasgow!) :-) G
MPH
Jan 2015
10:29am, 30 Jan 2015
616 posts
  •  
MPH
G, did you take much breaking into the the Hokas? I had my first run in a pair of Cliftons yesterday and really liked them, but after wearing a more shoe more on the stability side past 10 years I guess I should build the miles up in them?

Saying that though, I have changed my running technique, where I used to heel land, get lower leg injuries galore, wear orthotics etc. 3 years ago, threw my orthotics out, leaned forward, started to land mid foot, quicker turn over and not an injury since!
Jan 2015
10:54am, 30 Jan 2015
23,977 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Like I said MPH, I was already running in unstructured, unsupported shoes, with far less cushioning and 4-6mm heel to toe drop. So the Hoka wasn't a big surprise to me. My main issues with Hoka were: being 2 cm taller and remembering not to scuff my feet or crack my head on a branch! Lack of grip (compared to a decent trail shoe). Pleasant surprises were how light they are and they def did as expected - protected my toes and base of feet from rock bashing. :-) G
Jan 2015
2:48pm, 31 Jan 2015
1,505 posts
  •  
Pinkliverbird
Thanks for that el Bee.

:-) G I've decided to give the VFF's a go. Tried several minimalist shoes and these where by far the most comfortable for me. I love the feel of them. I've been a heel striker since I started running in 2010 and last year I was plagued with injury and lost so much motivation. Now getting back to it and decided to work on my form. I bought a pair of VFF Bikila Evo. The guy who served me in the running shop has been a barefoot/minimalist runner for several years, so that was really useful. He gave me loads of info and advice on getting your body used to this type of running.
Feb 2015
10:29pm, 8 Feb 2015
2,791 posts
  •  
run free
I can run in 0 drop, thin soled shoes on flat terrain. I have learned the hard way that running on sharp stoney ground with the same sandals is stupid for a flat lander like me!
Aug 2015
2:36am, 26 Aug 2015
3 posts
  •  
and1thousand
Hi! Does anyone know of a Pose-knowledgeable person in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States area? I have had an appointment with a man named Tracy Peal (http://www.tracypealspeed.com/TracyPealSpeed/Intro.html) who is very knowledgeable and astute but costs a lot of money. I'm hoping to find someone trained in Pose Method who is cheaper or covered by insurance. Please let me know if this question belongs elsewhere or if you know of any resources. Thank you!

Seth
Aug 2015
10:49am, 26 Aug 2015
14,452 posts
  •  
GlennR
Seth, you might want to try posting something on the Runnersworld.com website, where there might be more chance of finding someone with that sort of info.
Aug 2015
9:33pm, 26 Aug 2015
4 posts
  •  
and1thousand
GlennR, thank you! I will post there.

Do folks on this thread or site ever do video analyses of each other?

Thanks!
Aug 2015
10:47pm, 26 Aug 2015
2,863 posts
  •  
run free
Used to but things are a little quiet now a days. There is also a facebook group of Pose runners/coaches. Unfortunately I cannot remember what it is called since farcebook kicked me off
Aug 2015
10:52pm, 26 Aug 2015
2,864 posts
  •  
run free
FYI: posetech.com and also you can check into Pose Running drills on YouTube. JonP has a vid here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pv-qCjYgjM

About This Thread

Maintained by cabletow
If you want to get people to watch you running - you need to video yourself using your mobile phone or digital camera. Side on, full length for a few strides, is sufficient. Use a cloud storage system as discussed here

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=47880
And share the file with a coach or coaches for constructive comment, either in private or on the thread if you dare.

Ok and article about POSE Method and running
tigwigs.force9.co.uk

Ians Article - worth a read if you are having trouble "getting it" - ianm1963.wordpress.com

As requested common acronyms used in this thread
GCM = General Centre of Mass

COG = Centre of Gravity
GCM = COG for the most part
BOF = Ball of foot - the feshy bit just under and slightly heelward of the big toe joint
ROM = Range of movement of the knees, or feet
BW = Body weight
ME = Muscular elasticity
COS = Change of support
GRF = Ground reaction force
FFS = It is not that hard dingbat

Pose drills as they should be done
http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=306