Politics

3 lurkers | 197 watchers
30 Day Post Breakdown Female Male Unspecified
Posts (Contributors) 8 (2) 738 (35) 2 (1)
Jul 2019
3:18pm, 22 Jul 2019
8,167 posts
  •  
larkim
That's what is surprising me about people like Hammond etc at the moment - they are tearing up that presumed loyalty notoriety in advance of the leader being installed. This isn't just the usual cut and thrust of "sides" in a battle between two candidates which are expected to resolve quickly once the new leader is elected; they are setting out a stall which says there are areas of support which they cannot and will not bring under any circumstance in blank opposition to the stated aims of the likely winner of the contest.

Part of me actually has a modicum of sympathy to the Boris approach that setting apparently non-negotiable options up front enables you to draw concessions out from the other side, and in the context of Brexit if Europe does feel that no deal Brexit will be damaging to Europe as a whole they may find some ways of softening to facilitate a deal - it's a classic "who blinks first" approach.

It's utterly flawed in practice of course because Boris isn't the one who has to avoid blinking - it's Parliament, and Parliament has already made it clear it won't tolerate no deal, and irrespective of what the legislation says about 31st October being the default position, I am reasonably comfortable (as I'm sure the European side are too) that Parliament won't allow no deal to progress.

Which ultimately is why even Boris really needs a GE to try to secure a "no deal" Parliament. Without that, whatever bluster he puts up front it simply won't happen.
jda
Jul 2019
3:31pm, 22 Jul 2019
4,823 posts
  •  
jda
No they aren't. They are just saying (so far) that they don't want to serve in the govt, they have up to this point all said that they will not support the govt in a vote of confidence at this point, though they may choose to do so in the future (specifically if no deal brexit looms closer).

However there does seem to be some interesting shenanigans with Ian Duncan and a vote of confidence...

twitter.com
Jul 2019
3:44pm, 22 Jul 2019
491 posts
  •  
Deinonychus
What happens when BJ arranges to lose a confidence vote on the 29th October? Don’t say it can’t be done. And then with no government we slip out of the EU on the 31st.
jda
Jul 2019
3:48pm, 22 Jul 2019
4,824 posts
  •  
jda
I think we would be into the realms of riots, coups and civil war well before then.
Jul 2019
4:08pm, 22 Jul 2019
8,171 posts
  •  
larkim
No they aren't. They are just saying (so far) that they don't want to serve in the govt, they have up to this point all said that they will not support the govt in a vote of confidence at this point, though they may choose to do so in the future (specifically if no deal brexit looms closer).

I presume that's the wrong way round?

Yes, I agree to an extent they aren't going the whole way. But in days of yore ministers at this point would be keeping quiet, and if asked if they would serve in XYZ government would answer "I think you're jumping the gun here, it's for the new PM to offer positions in government and it wouldn't be proper to rule anything in or out at this stage when we still don't know who the winner is."

For the current sitting Chancellor to be saying they won't serve in a Bojo government is monumentally important and significant. Especially as the biggest issue of the day is as much as about the economy as anything else. I don't think you have to read between the lines much to infer that if Bojo was actively promoting a no deal route through Parliament that Hammond et al would oppose it, and if they needed to oppose it through a confidence motion I'm fairly certain they would.
jda
Jul 2019
4:20pm, 22 Jul 2019
4,826 posts
  •  
jda
Yes that was an editing error. And I agree that several of them have said more or less plainly that they would vote NC as a last resort to stop a no deal brexit but that is not the same thing as voting NC right from day one. We may never get to the point of no deal brexit being a govt goal. And I think people are over-egging the chances of it happening by accident. There's apparently a whole lot of stuff that needs to get done first, which takes time and preparation, and if that doesn't happen (which it won't without no deal becoming the policy goal) then there will inevitably be an extension, even if just to allow these necessary preparations.

(Just to be clear, I do agree that as a legal fact with the law as it currently is, brexit would happen if the MPs sat on their hands for the next 3 months, but in the real world, it is unthinkable that this will be allowed to happen.)
Jul 2019
4:27pm, 22 Jul 2019
14,939 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Jo Swinson elected new Lib Dem leader by huge amount.
Jul 2019
4:30pm, 22 Jul 2019
9,336 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
Who?

(I can Google her for myself, don't worry ;-) )
jda
Jul 2019
4:37pm, 22 Jul 2019
4,827 posts
  •  
jda
Mostly harmless IMO. Which really should be a big selling point these days, but who knows?
Jul 2019
4:48pm, 22 Jul 2019
14,940 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Hmm already being used to hammer the fact Labour have never elected a female leader. She's playing the Macron "lets change politics" cards. This feels dangerous for Labour.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Current poll - When will the next election be ***

March 28 2024 - fetch
April 1 2024 - Paul Cook
April 4 2024 - Macca53
May 9 2024 - Bazoaxe
May 9 2024 - Johnny Blaze
June 20 2024 - Fields
Oct 17 2024 - jda
Oct 24 2024 - Chrisull
Nov 21 2024 - HappyG
Dec 5 2024 - LindsD
Dec 21 2024 - richmac
Jan 24, 2025 - J2R
Jan 28 2025 - Bob!

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.