Painkillers before running

1 watcher
Aug 2012
1:07pm, 31 Aug 2012
1,782 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Since last night's run my right Achilles has been feeling very bruised. But painful to walk on but I'm pretty sure it's just bruising and nothing more (think my shoes were too tight in that area).

Need to run 20km tomorrow. Can't rest it for a few days due to an impending race. Was thinking I might take a pill or two to deaden the pain whilst I trundle along for a couple of hours.

Pretty sure I have seen people on here mention doing it, with no adverse effect. I assume this isn't a terrible idea?
Aug 2012
1:10pm, 31 Aug 2012
561 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
My OH has often done this without any ill effects.
Aug 2012
1:33pm, 31 Aug 2012
1,783 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Ok, 100% success record so far then :-)
Aug 2012
1:38pm, 31 Aug 2012
14,413 posts
  •  
Stumpy
well it's a sort of kill or cure thing really isn't it. it might have no ill effects, but if it is more than just bruising it will mask any pain that might tell you it needs resting and mean you run further than it can cope with without realising. either way you will differentiate whether it is nothing or an injury. ;-)

it comes down to your judgement. if it really is nothing, then go for it. if you think it could be a niggle/beginning of an injury and you know deep down you are just trying to ignore it, then.....
Aug 2012
1:43pm, 31 Aug 2012
1,784 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
I don't really have much choice Stumpy. It does genuinely feel like bruising, but either way I have my first Half in two weeks, and haven't run further than 16km (allbeit a hilly, cross-country 16km!), so I don't have time for resting anyway.
Aug 2012
1:46pm, 31 Aug 2012
44,183 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
um
yes you DO have a choice
Aug 2012
1:50pm, 31 Aug 2012
44,184 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Achilles injuries, if it is that have a habit of becoming chronic, so be careful
If you have run 16km then you will get round your half

Would it not be best to rest so that you have your beat chanve of getting to the start line of the race in one piece anyway?

Two weeks before a race you arent goign to gain *that* much training benefit even if you do gain in mentla confidence

And, whats the priority here?? A race or your long term running??

Please dont risk a long term injury-there are loads of halfs out there
Aug 2012
1:51pm, 31 Aug 2012
200 posts
  •  
FreshStart
I'm still having problems with my groin after running the 2008 London Marathon drugged up on NSAIDs. The drugs masked the pain but I wish I hadn't attempted to run while injured. I wouldn't recommend it and there are plenty of other half marathons out there.
Aug 2012
1:56pm, 31 Aug 2012
1,785 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Bugger, not sure now! I did 10k Wednesday night, then the same last night. No issues with the Achilles at all until the last km, where it felt a bit bruised. Was then fine until this morning where it feels very bruised (very descriptive I know!)

The Half is in Stockholm, I've been planning this since January and really want to do the race. To go all the way there and then not do it would (pathetically I admit) mean I would probably mope around Stockholm for three days and then come back.

Arse :-(
Aug 2012
1:58pm, 31 Aug 2012
44,185 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
well then Id rest tomorrrow so you are fresh for the race

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
Since last night's run my right Achilles has been feeling very bruised. But painful to walk on but ...