Elbow pain...tennis elbow? (Haven't played it for thirty years)

3 watchers
T39
Nov 2013
9:19pm, 26 Nov 2013
2,037 posts
  •  
T39
A few months ago, I experienced the most excruciating pain in my elbow and the skin in the indent by the knobbly bit became discoloured-looks bruised
Anyway, took my arm off to the doctors, she sent me for an xray- nothing sinister could be found so she deduced it must be tennis elbow (left arm, I'm right handed) and proceeded to stick a knitting needle in said elbow.
(Cortisone injection)
Three months later, the pain is back, mostly when I straighten my arm. Sometimes it's so bad I could happily chop my arm off. I don't really want to go down the cortisone route again.
I'm not convinced its tennis elbow anyway
So my dear fetch lets, has anyone got any suggestions to end this agony which doesn't involve drugs or axes?
All suggestions considered
Nov 2013
9:23pm, 26 Nov 2013
4,272 posts
  •  
Phoenix Lesley
Over here you can buy a velcro strap that you put on a certain area of your arm to relieve pressure etc. Yank Dave had that a couple of years ago. He wore it for about 6 weeks. allegromedical.com It looked like this. Just google for a UK supplier
Nov 2013
9:48pm, 26 Nov 2013
3,485 posts
  •  
Endorphins Junky
I've suffered with TE twice. Wear a velcro strap (as PL mentions) when I play squash, which isn't very often now.

The pain, when it occurred, was intense and acute, but it was always short lived and I would never describe it as a 'chop my arm off pain' - I say that as a sufferer of another, unconnected, chronic condition which does make me think about chopping something off.

So, in my considered, and totally unmedical (is that even a word), opinion - I'm not even sure you have tennis elbow!
T39
Nov 2013
9:48pm, 26 Nov 2013
2,038 posts
  •  
T39
Thanks Phoenix Lesley, I'll have a look.
I wonder if you can get one on prescription ;-)
T39
Nov 2013
9:50pm, 26 Nov 2013
2,039 posts
  •  
T39
Ta EP
It's definitively chop your arm off pain and has reduced me to tears
I think the doctor was quite happy to fill me with drugs and send me on my way
May 2019
2:28pm, 8 May 2019
112,316 posts
  •  
GregP
Didn't know we had a thread for this. As the O50 thread know, I suffer from tennis elbow mainly due to playing backhand with a bent are (legacy of a *lot* of squash in my teens and twenties.

Currently play tennis 2-3 times a week and have a hurty elbow 5-6.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by T39
A few months ago, I experienced the most excruciating pain in my elbow and the skin in the indent by...