Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

77 watchers
Jul 2022
11:45pm, 28 Jul 2022
91,420 posts
  •  
Hanneke
We have such inclement storms in winter, I have a professional greenhouse, with foundations and everything, installed by a pro. It is solid as a rock! I know from previous experience, with my ex up the road, that anything less simply won't last...
Aug 2022
9:09pm, 7 Aug 2022
16,811 posts
  •  
Garfield
Any advice on how to improve drainage in a very hard compacted ground? We're looking to plant a cordyline and tried a test hole, put a bit of water in and it didn't drain terribly well... The tree arrives on Friday, so we have a better location to plant it, so we need to dig another hole, though conditions are going to be similar.

Thanks in advance!
Aug 2022
11:56pm, 7 Aug 2022
91,677 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Soak the area where you are planting every day untill it arrives. The ground should be moist to the depth of the hole you need to dig and the cordiline should establish well if you kerp it watered. If you are currently subject to a hose pipe ban, you are allowed to water new plants and trees. If you want to be super sustainable, you can use the water from the washing up and showers/baths in stead of the hose.
Aug 2022
7:01am, 8 Aug 2022
16,812 posts
  •  
Garfield
Thanks Hanneke - we don't have a hosepipe ban yet... Our test hole still has water in it, and the earth had to be hacked out with a pickaxe-like thing for getting roots out (we borrowed it from our neighbour ages ago) and the erath was quite claggy/solidly packed down.
Aug 2022
8:41am, 8 Aug 2022
18,826 posts
  •  
3M (aka MarkyMarkMark)
Can you use it to your advantage, Garfield, and make the hole a bit bigger effectively creating an underground flower pot? And then fill with the compost of your choice?
Probably you won't need to water it do much for a bit!

Pretty sure over time the surrounding soil will soften enough to let the plant roots break it down naturally.
Aug 2022
8:44am, 8 Aug 2022
16,814 posts
  •  
Garfield
Thank you 3M - I was wondering that myself. How much bigger though? An extra 6 inches deeper perhaps?

The very helpful lady at the garden centre suggested putting in some rubble to help with drainage at the bottom...similar to your flowerpot description.
Aug 2022
9:27am, 8 Aug 2022
18,829 posts
  •  
3M (aka MarkyMarkMark)
Dig out the recommended pot size if you were putting it in a patio, I suppose! (Or until you see a kangaroo popping their head out! ;-) )
Aug 2022
10:47am, 8 Aug 2022
16,816 posts
  •  
Garfield
LOL 3M!!! ;)
Aug 2022
1:29pm, 8 Aug 2022
91,692 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Teehee!

Making a "pot" won't work... So just water the area. Then you can plant it properly.
Aug 2022
1:32pm, 8 Aug 2022
16,817 posts
  •  
Garfield
Thanks again Hanneke! :)

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.