Cactus and cacti

5 watchers
Jun 2022
7:08pm, 24 Jun 2022
21,759 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
Growing cactus from seed is one of the most amazing things I have done as the ones I grew just looked like stones for days, getting bigger each day.
Jun 2022
7:10pm, 24 Jun 2022
22,851 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
It is fascinating watching their progress. Nothing much happens for ages and then there is a spurt of growth before they stall again. At least they look like cacti now 🌵
Jun 2022
7:27pm, 24 Jun 2022
22,537 posts
  •  
Ness
That is impressive. I failed completely with mine. When I’m out of my Covid confinement maybe I ought to try again.
Jun 2022
7:52pm, 24 Jun 2022
58,568 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Splendid, GM :)

I have a load of tiny money plants grown from leaves that fell off Tink's triffid when I repotted it. I have no idea what to do with them, I just like the way they grow. I had some prettier succulents that I grew from offshoots, but Tink took them away last time she visited.
jda
Jun 2022
8:08pm, 24 Jun 2022
12,792 posts
  •  
jda
Maybe a local charity sale of some sort? I got rid of some spare plants that way recently. Not actually cacti (calla lily mostly) but maybe next year I'll do some.

Incidentally, red seedlings may be getting a bit too much sun I think. They can be a bit tender when newly hatched. But they like warmth. I have a (cheap and nasty) heated propagator which has proved its worth for a wide range of things over the years.
Jun 2022
8:12pm, 24 Jun 2022
22,852 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
That's useful to know, jda

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by GimmeMedals
With grateful thanks to bigleggy for the seeds, I've started growing cacti and they have germinated. Some Fetchies are growing cacti from seed and others have established cacti plants at home. I've quickly become fascinated by this prickly pet so thought a thread to share tips and experiences would be helpful.