Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

77 watchers
Aug 2022
10:29pm, 14 Aug 2022
56,349 posts
  •  
alpenrose
Catching up after a few weeks.

MrsJ, I have ants in my lawn, if I see a pile of soil I get the broom out and disperse the soil so I don't get big humps.

I've been collecting all the water from my kitchen and slinging it around some newly planted plants, hoping they won't die before we finally get some rain.

I don't grow veg but I've got 3 tomato plants which have started ripening, quite a few seem to have blossom end rot though.
Aug 2022
11:38pm, 14 Aug 2022
23,037 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
It's a shame about your tomatoes, AR. My dad has the same problem with a few of his plants. Ours seem ok so far and are beginning to ripen.

The courgettes have suddenly come into their own so the daily washing up bowls of water have been appreciated by them.

My spaghetti squash plant has dried out so much that the leaves are virtually dead and the small squash fell off the stem when I gently moved it to get a snail off it. The other 2 squash are showing signs of ripening at last so hopefully I'll have some success with them.
We have stacks of Victoria plums this year but they are not as juicy as usual.
The soil is bone dry though. It's been a tough year for gardening, with strong winds during spring and drought during summer :(
Aug 2022
6:19pm, 15 Aug 2022
10,048 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Our garden is a right old mess at the moment. A couple of well established shrubs look like they have bitten the dust and some others are looking very unhappy. Even some of the mature trees are shedding some of their leaves, mainly sycamores it seems. It looks like autumn has come early in parts of the garden.

On a happier note I saw a grass snake on the path by the house today. My husband didn’t share my joy but he’s not really a wildlife sort of person 😅
Aug 2022
6:46pm, 15 Aug 2022
14,974 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Ours is the same Frag, so.many things dying abd great big cracks in the soil

Have decided ti dismantle my veg plot, taking my big walk in frame down and will sell it.

Will have a much smaller veg plot in another part of the garden that will be more manageable
Aug 2022
8:02pm, 15 Aug 2022
91,884 posts
  •  
Hanneke
My garden had been so resilient, until last week. 3 months of no rain and 3 bouts of temperatures in the high 30s/low 49s did it. I got the hose out yesterday, as I could not cope with my dying garden... Too late for some hedging plants and one or two trees it seems... And all my planta for damp, boggy conditions have gone. A few years ago, I planted those as other things died as it was so wet...
My primula collection is decimated 😢
But this morning, it drizzled and rained softly. So softly, it evaporated on hitting the soil...
But just now, we had a thunderstorm and some meaningful rain. You can literally feel the garden sigh with relief.
Aug 2022
8:06pm, 15 Aug 2022
14,975 posts
  •  
Mandymoo

Anyone know what this plant is next to the dahlia - my daughter has no clue?.
Aug 2022
8:07pm, 15 Aug 2022
16,829 posts
  •  
Garfield
We just had a minimal sprinkle...of all of 10 seconds that didn't hit the ground...roll on thunderstorm.
Aug 2022
8:08pm, 15 Aug 2022
91,888 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Hard to tell. Is it a house plant? Poor thing looks very poorly...
Aug 2022
8:09pm, 15 Aug 2022
14,976 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
No its a garden plant - and yes it does and she is not sure if it is a weed or a plant 🤔
Aug 2022
8:09pm, 15 Aug 2022
91,890 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Not a weed 😂

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.