Marathon plans

4 watchers
Apr 2016
9:46pm, 23 Apr 2016
17,223 posts
  •  
DeeGee
After November, I'm going to train properly for a Spring Marathon. I'm planning now so I can read plenty around the subject.

It's obviously going to require an increase in mileage (I used to do 200-odd a month in training when I was at my fittest), but circumstances change and I'm going to need to squeezer mileage in when I can.

I reckon I've got commute to and from work (home limited to about 4 or 5 miles max), work's 4 miles away, plus one early evening, one late evening and one LSR, ideally on a Sunday so I can also do parkrun.

In the past, I've adapted P&D, which worked for me and I might do that again, but I'm wondering what other off-the-shelf plans folk have used. I'm going to need to drop some weight as well.

The distance obviously holds no fear, but currently I'm lacking the ability to maintain pace over the distance (because I'm knackered, I think).

Any recommendations? I'll be buying and having a look to see what I reckon will work best with me, so I'm open to any suggestions.
Apr 2016
9:53pm, 23 Apr 2016
7,662 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I used one I developed from Daniels running formula 2nd ed
Apr 2016
9:54pm, 23 Apr 2016
7,663 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
When I read both and compared, my thoughts were the P&D plans were a bit too mileage heavy for me.

If I ever go back to do a road marathon properly, then I might reconsider.

I've got other plans first if I can sort out my descending properly and find my confidence again.
Apr 2016
9:57pm, 23 Apr 2016
8,427 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
P&D, P&D, P&D ;-)
Apr 2016
9:59pm, 23 Apr 2016
17,224 posts
  •  
DeeGee
P&D did work, but I'm not entirely convinced that I'll be able to get the quality of each session, or find time for the midweek 16-miler.
Apr 2016
8:40pm, 24 Apr 2016
7,667 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Use Daniels then.

Longest midweek run is 14 if memory serves (and that's only the peak week).
Apr 2016
8:52pm, 24 Apr 2016
17,225 posts
  •  
DeeGee
How much does Daniels rely on me having accurate metrics before I start? Would it be in my interest to have some biometric tests done, or can I just do it from the book?
Apr 2016
8:57pm, 24 Apr 2016
7,668 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
What do you mean by accurate metrics?

He bases it on a vo2max, but you can translate from a 5k/10k time - and that's current fitness, not PB, so all you'd have to do is go and do a flat out parkrun....
Apr 2016
9:05pm, 24 Apr 2016
17,226 posts
  •  
DeeGee
That was what I was thinking about. I don't need to go off and do an exhaustion test on a treadmill or anything like that. I can go off and run my local, dead flat tarmac parkrun flat out.
Apr 2016
9:15pm, 24 Apr 2016
7,669 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Yeah, you can work from that.

You'd be more accurate from your own measured VO2max (and then converting that to VDOT), but I've always used Daniels' conversion from race time to VDOT and work on interval/threshold pace from there.

I've found it close enough for my purposes..

But my marathon time isn't anything to write home about (but there are reasons for that). But up to HM, my times when I was fit are very close to Daniels.

The bit you want is Page 48 (table 3.1) in the 2nd ed book.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
After November, I'm going to train properly for a Spring Marathon. I'm planning now so I can read ...