London Marathon

2 watchers
Oct 2017
4:27pm, 10 Oct 2017
First-time poster!!
  •  
Ritchie
Hi everyone

Since 2014 I've run in one and volunteered at three London Marathon's (for Cancer Research). The thing is I've always wanted to be on the finishing line giving out the medals but I can't seem to find any information online anywhere about how to go about it.

Someone has suggested to me that it may be a closed book and only certain people can take part - can anyone confirm if this is true? Any info gratefully received. Thank you.
Oct 2017
4:32pm, 10 Oct 2017
18,617 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
If it's anything like the other volunteers around the course, a lot of them come from running clubs. Our friend at Bedford Harriers was on a very early coach to London last time, to do their bit (which if I remember right, was directing people to the starts). It might be worth checking with your local running clubs to see if they're involved.

Oh, and welcome to Fetch :-)
Oct 2017
4:38pm, 10 Oct 2017
646 posts
  •  
Oranj
+1, I think certain clubs cover certain jobs (not sure about the finish though - that would have to be a big running club, so maybe two or more do it). When I lived in Watford the Watford Joggers took on the 24-mile water station and still do it to this day.
Oct 2017
7:13pm, 10 Oct 2017
3,367 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Hi Ritchie I ran into a man at new forest marathon who was brooks brand runner for Alton sports whose coach once gave out medals. That’s as good as I can do for a lead o-p

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Ritchie
London Marathon volunteering