Ladies Who Lift...

91 watchers
Sep 2020
2:44pm, 26 Sep 2020
12,779 posts
  •  
early bird
strengthshop.co.uk

This is the band I use. I go above knee in a 1/4 squat position and it bloody hurts 😂

Part of the WOD today had hand release push ups which I did full press up position on so was quite pleased with myself. Used 15kg x2 dumbells for box step overs which bloody nearly killed me 🙈 It was teamed up with calories on the bike 🥵.

Next WOD included hang power snatches (20kg for me), reverse lunges and double under skipping. As I don't have double unders I had to jump on and off a 20kg plate which was fun after the lunges 🥴

After feeling quite happy with my performances in the WOD's we had time to practice heavy snatches which I felt I totally failed on and ended up feeling crap. That's how the cookie crumbles sometimes I guess. To balance it out I did take my own resistance band with me to have a go at pull ups and managed 5 😊

I really want to get back to lifting heavy again I feel like I haven't done any serious lifting for ages.
SPR
Sep 2020
3:45pm, 26 Sep 2020
31,706 posts
  •  
SPR
Heavy snatches at the end of a workout would be tough and if you've not done it for awhile, even tougher EB.

That band looks like it has some serious resistance, I think we'd all be doing crabs above the knee with that band!
Sep 2020
6:35pm, 26 Sep 2020
46,539 posts
  •  
alpenrose
That band looks similar to the one I have to use. :)
Sep 2020
7:47pm, 26 Sep 2020
6,301 posts
  •  
Raemond
Thanks for the explanation and vid - I think I left my resistance bands in Brussels but can get more easily enough, and I think I have just enough space in the craftorium to get a few steps in. (I'll measure tomorrow)
Sep 2020
10:44am, 30 Sep 2020
12,780 posts
  •  
early bird
Did another 100 crab walks with the band yesterday felt easier so must be working 😊 more hip flexor strengthening exercises as well

Yesterday was long slog cardio ish day. I had a choice of strength or that but as I'd not slept well (4 hours) food was messed up (no breakfast until 11 etc) eyeids were heavy and I just really really wanted my bed I went with the slog it out option.

35 mins (was supposed to be 30 but PT wanted another round as I got all my wall balls unbroken he wanted to push another round out of me 🙄)

Min 1 6 wall balls (6kg) increase each round 7/8/9/10/10
Min 2 20 slam balls (stayed same)

Min 3 12 lunges 14/16/18/20/22
Mon 4 30 secs rower (stayed same)

Min 5 Rest

Looking forward to today he said its going to be all the barbells I jokingly replied all the tears then 😂

He seems happy with our progress and has said in classes now we're 'taking part' not just hanging in and hoping to finish and we aren't always last now 🙈😂😂😂

Been a bit down on my weightloss as scales haven't really moved much so this morning I took photos and compared them to the ones I took two weeks ago and there's a definite difference so feeling a bit happier about that now. I have to get mysf away from the number on the scales now I think as I must be starting to build a bit of muscle 💪
Sep 2020
11:04am, 30 Sep 2020
21,568 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I've been lurking for a bit as I use a local family-run boxing gym and like to mix it up with my workout. Those wall balls look inspiring. Any tips on ball weight to start off with? I already do squats with weight and use a 6kg ball for sit-ups, starting lying down with ball over my head.
Sep 2020
11:46am, 30 Sep 2020
12,781 posts
  •  
early bird
I'd start with a 3kg if you have one just for technique then move up when you're comforta

https://youtu.be/EqjGKsiIMCE
Sep 2020
11:50am, 30 Sep 2020
12,782 posts
  •  
early bird
6kg is RX weight for women. If you can do thrusters it's a similar movement 😊
Sep 2020
1:16pm, 30 Sep 2020
12,783 posts
  •  
early bird
Session just finished. No tears 😊
Warm up of 5 mins on echo bike, 200 banded crab walks 😮 (guess he noticed they were easier 😂 followed by banded rows and banded chest press 3 sets of 15

Bar work warm up on empty bar and light weights up to doing

4 sets of 4 @80%

Back squat (50kg)
Deadlift (80kg)
Bench press (30kg)

Feeling quite happy with my performance today 😊 next session Friday
Sep 2020
3:12pm, 30 Sep 2020
21,569 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Thanks EB - that vid's really good. I'll give 3kg a try tomorrow. I don't do thrusters at the mo' but a similar exercise with bands. I'll also look at bringing those into my routine - I like compound exercises.

What does RX mean BTW?

About This Thread

Maintained by Sharkie
... a weights wire for women.

And in case you're wondering about that title, well, I like alliteration and one can be too po-faced about the use of girl/lady/woman.

Here's a strength standards for women thing Duracel found for us
strengthlevel.com

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.