Kielder Marathon 2013

6 watchers
Oct 2013
8:11pm, 6 Oct 2013
464 posts
  •  
kjtindall
There is a bus pick up/drop off from Carlisle I think?
Oct 2013
8:13pm, 6 Oct 2013
12,205 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Thanks KJ. I will research more and plan it as a weekend away. :)
Oct 2013
8:38pm, 6 Oct 2013
317 posts
  •  
jacdaw
I think there is a bus on the morning of the race from Newcastle Central.

Hexham may be the closest station, but I don't think public transport is great to Bellingham, let alone to Kielder (or Falstone) itself.
Oct 2013
9:06pm, 6 Oct 2013
12,214 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
The area looks so lovely, I'd like to stay in a B&B for the weekend maybe, rather than Newcastle or Carlisle ... and check out the red squirrels and other wildlife.
Oct 2013
9:06pm, 6 Oct 2013
12,215 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I think some Fetchie friends may be interested in doing it/supporting/marshalling, so we might be able to organise things as a group.
Oct 2013
9:24pm, 6 Oct 2013
465 posts
  •  
kjtindall
Sorry, I'm addled by post race fatigue. As jackdaw says, bus is Newcastle not Carlisle, sorry.....

images.kieldermarathon.com
Oct 2013
9:30pm, 6 Oct 2013
12,221 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Thanks everyone. When places for next year get advertised, I'll make sure I can sort out accommodation first.
Oct 2013
9:36pm, 6 Oct 2013
50 posts
  •  
PCleasby
Loved it today, what a lovely run. Tough at times but a great event. Well done the organisers.
Oct 2013
6:11pm, 7 Oct 2013
712 posts
  •  
RedWineRunner
I was so impressed with this race! What a great day I had :) So well organised and the route was as beautiful as promised. Unfortunately our shuttle bus back to Newcastle broke down and we ended up stranded on the side on the A69 for 2hrs...but that's Stagecoach's fault, not Kielders.
I am totally addled with post-race fatigue today - a useless excuse for a human being if ever there was one, but I have avoided any soreness thankfully. Course was a lot tougher than I thought it would be!
Oct 2013
9:16pm, 7 Oct 2013
51 posts
  •  
PCleasby
Given the tag line ‘Britain’s Most Beautiful Marathon’ this one had some high expectations to fulfil. It was the 5th year this event has been staged and is organised by Steve Cram. The marathon will be forever famous for the bus catcher who cheated his way to a 3rd place finish in 2011.

For me this was a no pressure run. It’s billed as a tough course and pb hunting is out of the question so the road racing shoes were left in the cupboard for a sturdier pair of road runners. Although the setting is stunning the terrain is generally hard pressed trail so road shoes were the order of the day.

Because the location is so remote there was a park and ride system in operation. As a paranoid runner who can’t be doing with the fuss I was somewhat apprehensive about this complication but I have to say it was immaculately efficient and should not put anyone off doing the event.

The race village was friendly and well equipped with sufficient facilities to mean queuing was minimal. Pre race drinks were available and there was plenty of catering and home baking stalls to get that final bit of carb loading done.

As for the race itself as is customary I started too fast but quickly realised the error of my ways, reining it in, to a more sensible pace. It was great not to be a slave to the Garmin and just run at a pace that felt comfortable. Even as the miles went on and the hills went on and on it was an entirely relaxing and enjoyable run. The scenery was lovely, some may have appreciated some sun but with the temperatures being very mild I was not complaining too loudly about the persistent drizzle. With the course being permanently undulating there was never any danger of terminal boredom setting in as sometimes happens in the big city marathons (see Berlin for example!)

As the race wore on the hills began to take their toll with an especially cruel one at mile 22, not enough to reduce me to a walk (on this occasion) but enough to zap any remaining zip out of your legs and it was a disciplined and determined effort to focus on getting to the finish. I thought given the course a 3:30 finish would be respectable so a sub 3:25 and 37th place was very welcome indeed. At the finish line there was much celebration amongst the crowd who were enthusiastic in their support for the runners and the atmosphere was very convivial indeed.

In short this is a great event. A run to enjoy rather than race. It is by no means an easy marathon but there are no insurmountable hills. If the marathon runners fancy an alternative to a city road marathon but are not yet ready for a Hardmoors epic then this is exactly the run for them.

About This Thread

Maintained by RedWineRunner
So, general entries for the Kielder Marathon weekend open today. Who's in?
I just signed up for m...