ITBS support thread

12 watchers
Feb 2013
2:33pm, 28 Feb 2013
3,248 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
OK ... I give in... after yet another bailed run (1.25miles)...I am thinking this ITBS will be with me forever... i rest ...i roll...i stretch... i roll.. (i also teach pilates and zumba a few times a week ...neither hurt itb obviously....ive quit cycling as i think that was aggravating it) and yet this b******d thing has been with me since mid december

whos had it? whos got ?

i am thinking about writing 2013 off altogether and its only end of February!
Feb 2013
2:41pm, 28 Feb 2013
15,166 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Mine took two months. I occasionally get a hint of it now, but its never really come back.

Lots of buttock strengthening and specific stretches and I am fine.
Don't lose hope!

Also, dont try running until its gone (though its hard to know when that is if you dont run).
Feb 2013
2:51pm, 28 Feb 2013
3,249 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
thanks Johnnyo

have to admit to not keeping on top of my exercises!
Feb 2013
4:38pm, 28 Feb 2013
358 posts
  •  
Fitz
I had it in 2011 for about 4 months. I got rid with a combination of Mueller ITB straps, Foot Factor custom orthotics, rollering and lots of of strength / stretch exercises.
Feb 2013
6:04pm, 28 Feb 2013
3,103 posts
  •  
lazydaisy
I had it for months in 2011 and stupidly tried to keep running even though it hurt a ridiculous amount. It finally faded (though like JohhnyO, it sometimes gives me a prod) after a series of physio sessions where she did myofascial release starting at my ankle and gradually working up the leg and across the spine. She told me that my problem was due to an uneven gait following an ankle injury years ago. I so wish I had stopped running until it was better as I'm sure it prolonged the agony!

I now keep it sweet with stretches and rollering, and (when I remember) strengthening exercises for my ankle and achilles.

I tell you all of this to suggest that until you get to the reason *your* ITB is playing up, you may not find the solution for you. What works for one runner may not be the answer for another. Good luck - it is very annoying and very painful, but you can get over it and get back out running!
Feb 2013
6:47pm, 28 Feb 2013
372 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
The exercises are the bit that will cure it - did for me anyhoo. Strengthening glutes and core are quickest fix :)
Feb 2013
6:48pm, 28 Feb 2013
373 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
And I found cycling helped it - make sure your bike 'fits' you though.
Feb 2013
6:50pm, 28 Feb 2013
15,167 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Forgot the strap, I had a Cho-Pat and an ITB strap. Wore them for a long time and they became a sort of crutch for me. They do work though.
Feb 2013
6:55pm, 28 Feb 2013
374 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Oooh, and kinesio taping - maybe all in the mind, but it's only a few quid for a roll and the pain reduction is immediate :)

JohnnyO, I also had the ITB strap, but could never convince myself it worked - or that I was wearing it right - or both
Feb 2013
6:58pm, 28 Feb 2013
1,348 posts
  •  
sLickster
I'd say I had 'bad' ITB issues for at least 6 months last year. However, it took me a while to actually go to a Physio, then the exercises helped a bit, but the main thing that started the recovery were the massages, specifically on the ITB. The first few literally brought a tear to my eye, but they got better. Then the exercises and roller seemed to help more than they did when I didn't have the massages. I also found cycling fine, but I suspect that an over-zelous turbo session was what triggered the initial bout!

About This Thread

Maintained by runningmumof3boys
OK ... I give in... after yet another bailed run (1.25miles)...I am thinking this ITBS will be with ...