ITBS support thread

12 watchers
Feb 2013
7:00pm, 28 Feb 2013
1,349 posts
  •  
sLickster
Oh yeah, I also used the KT tape for a good few months. Then one day I 'forgot' to put it on and was about 4 miles into a 10 mile run before I realised and so carried on without it...that was when I realised I was ok to go without it - I'd been using it for confidence as much as anything!
Feb 2013
9:05pm, 28 Feb 2013
3,251 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
So it may be a good idea for me to have another gait test by a sports physio as opposed to in a shoe shop for starters
Feb 2013
9:26pm, 28 Feb 2013
15,171 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I am not sure a normal gait test will tell you much, and there isn't much that can be done by way of corrective shoes. Mine got better when I stopped using any form of 'advised shoe' and just went with what felt comfy.
The issue that causes ITB is almost always the same, your leg adducting (moving in) whilst it is underneath you. This often happens when people increase their mileage fairly quickly (mine appeared during training for my first marathon) and when you start running more in tired legs. The weak areas are exposed and start to cause problems.

Core strength is important, as is strengthening the opposing muscles (the glutes being the biggest and possibly most important). Massage and myofascial release might help bring about a quicker recovery, but the problem will just recur unless you have fixed the underlying problem.

There are lots of exercises. One legged squats are my favourites, but there are many others. There are specific stretches that help too, all on youtube. You also need to think about your gait a bit. I shortened my stride, which helped a lot. This means that you start landing a bit more midfoot, which renders all the clever video/computer gait analysis a bit redundant.

I saw a physio 3 times. She confirmed the diagnosis (that I was already pretty sure about), gave me exercises and stretches (that I was already doing) and massaged it (which felt very nice). This cost me £120.
Feb 2013
9:27pm, 28 Feb 2013
15,172 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I would have thought your core would be pretty good though?
Feb 2013
11:00pm, 28 Feb 2013
3,252 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
Yes I think core strength good for sure but have been told
Few times weak Gluts when I've bad the odd minor hip issue
Apr 2013
2:32pm, 15 Apr 2013
3,280 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
Glad to say I am back running. Lalli wonderfully shared this video with me and I have stuck to the exercises

Ran my 1st 10k of the year yesterday

strengthrunning.com
Apr 2013
1:20pm, 20 Apr 2013
8,545 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
Great video, did the routine for the first time today :-)

Thanks for the link.
Apr 2013
2:35pm, 20 Apr 2013
40 posts
  •  
brandstifterin
I suffered with in in 2011 and it took a while but I found that using a foam roller (I got one of the trigger point ones with fibreglass in the middle rather than foam the whole way through) on them hurt (and made my eyes water - I didn't cry, honest!) but it did seem to help. I threw away my old shoes and brought a new neutral pair for the cushioning (I'd been using Asics 1120s at that point so not a major loss of support) and did some glutes and adductor strength work and little by little it got better and now *touch wood* I'm ok...
Apr 2013
8:49pm, 29 Apr 2013
281 posts
  •  
poppyseed
I think I have this thing. I've given myself a full diagnosis and Dr Google tells me it's so :p I don't have any pain when running though, is this normal? The searing pain only kicks in when I kneel (during yoga) or when I poke the lower part of my knee cap. Should I rest it completely or do the exercises and keep running? Advice most gratefully received.
Dec 2014
5:35am, 8 Dec 2014
First-time poster!!
  •  
Pebbs
I've had itbs for 11 years (yes, you did read that correctly). I've spent countless hours researching, seen loads of professions, endured injections, taping, insoles, and lots of new shoes. Basically, I gave up.

Then I was recommended a Physio. Basically I had to completely change my running style, do lots of glute strengthening, and yoga (a bit of sciatica apparently). It's been quite a few months now, and while I am not completely out of the woods, I'm finally getting there.

About This Thread

Maintained by runningmumof3boys
OK ... I give in... after yet another bailed run (1.25miles)...I am thinking this ITBS will be with ...