Interval Training - WTF

4 watchers
Feb 2013
8:46pm, 28 Feb 2013
67 posts
  •  
Endorphins Junky
Ok, so my first post earlier this week said I need to learn how to run / train properly.
Got some advice from Fetchies
Followed it, starting with a recovery run on Tuesday
Tonight did an interval session - revelation! Really enjoyed it.
Fairly sure my legs now want to divorce me mind!
Feb 2013
9:02pm, 28 Feb 2013
23,032 posts
  •  
Old Croc
intervals bring your speed and strength on a lot
Feb 2013
9:45pm, 28 Feb 2013
913 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
Just wait for 24-36 hours later - that's when I find my legs become highly uncooperative following a hard track/interval session :)
Jun 2015
11:28am, 3 Jun 2015
7 posts
  •  
ukjmr
Er, thread resurrection time...

If I use the calculator to work out some interval paces, how many intervals should I do and with what rest period?

Thanks all...
Jun 2015
1:20pm, 3 Jun 2015
29,647 posts
  •  
Nellers
It depends how far and often you're already running and how long the interval are.

If you are trying 400m intervals I'd suggest you start with 1-1.30 timed recovery and do, say 4 or 5 on the first time out. Don't go flat out on the first one. The idea is to keep the pace the same through all of the intervals, and it will get harder to maintain this as fatigue builds.

As your fitness increases you can tweak the session in avariety of ways. If you are racing longer distances then increasing the volume (add more reps). If you are looking for speed on shorter stuff (1 mile up to probably 5k) then INCREASING the recovery but also increasin the pace/effort of each rep is more effective.

Either way make sure you are properly warmed up and don't keep going if you feel anything "ping". You can do some real damage running hard on a fresh injury.
Jun 2015
1:25pm, 3 Jun 2015
29,648 posts
  •  
Nellers
Oh, and outside of the interval session you need to allow recovery so slow down most of your other runs. Certainly the day or 2 before and after intervals the runs should feel easy. If that means the day after you run very slowly or not at all that's fine. Pace that allows you to have a conversation with your mate as you run. Not snatched words, a proper conversation. If you use an HR monitor then 70% of your WHR should be the top limit.
Jun 2015
2:27pm, 3 Jun 2015
10,285 posts
  •  
Dvorak
And after that you can start doing your intervals on hills :-)

(Hill intervals will tend to be shorter than track intervals. Don't forget to do some downhill as well.)
Jun 2015
3:54pm, 3 Jun 2015
10,861 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Useful info, thanks Nellers and Dvorak.
Jun 2015
4:26pm, 3 Jun 2015
6,143 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
McMillan race pace calculator will churn out sprint paces for 200m, 400m etc - I use these to work approximate times out. Don't be afraid to really slow down the jog recoveries - a mistake a lot of us make is not to use the recovery time properly.
Jun 2015
8:30pm, 7 Jun 2015
8 posts
  •  
ukjmr
Really appreciate the advice. My son arrived (in the world) a couple of days early, so a few rest days have happened, but I'll have a crack per instructions. I'll probably mix up some track 400s and hill reps (not in the same week) since I have a few very steep climbs locally and a track a warm-up away.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Endorphins Junky
Ok, so my first post earlier this week said I need to learn how to run / train properly.
Got some a...