How to taper down from 0 miles

3 watchers
Apr 2012
4:12pm, 3 Apr 2012
4 posts
  •  
Phil_BTT
I'm hoping to run my first marathon (Milton Keynes) on 29th of this month. I've been following the Runners World Sub 3:30 plan and everything was going well until I sprained my right quadricep (I think a particularly brutal circuit class). It was painful to even walk on so under advice I stopped running completely, I continued cycling to work as it didn't seem to affect it which has helped maintain my Cv fitness. I had gotten up to runs of 20miles without too much of a problem. I completed my first run in 4 weeks last night, only 3 miles at 9:00 pace but I didn't want to get too carried away and everything seems ok now so I'm going to continue to increase the mileage. I've already given up thoughts of a quick race and am now thinking a 4hr+ just get round.

So my question is as I should be starting to taper now and I'm actually increasing my mileage to ensure I can even complete the race how late can I leave it before I taper my mileage off?
Apr 2012
4:20pm, 3 Apr 2012
10,974 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I had a similar story a few years back Phil - I hurt my quad and had to pull out at 15 miles on my third 20 miler. I'll just go see what training I did. brb.
Apr 2012
4:31pm, 3 Apr 2012
6,963 posts
  •  
Stander
I would have thought an inverse taper?
But with the mileage in the last week being that if a normal taper
Apr 2012
4:43pm, 3 Apr 2012
842 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Build back up sensibly and have a steep one week taper is my advice. Good luck! :-)
Apr 2012
5:27pm, 3 Apr 2012
5 posts
  •  
Phil_BTT
Sounds like a plan. No speedwork and a build up of mileage topping out at 20 miles a week before then a really chilled week pre D-Day?
Apr 2012
5:33pm, 3 Apr 2012
10,979 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I did my quad on the 23rd March, and the race was April 13th. I'd had a pretty good preparation up until that point, and I think that'll be the key for you. The longest run I did was a 7 miler, on 3rd April. In between there were a few 3-4 milers scattered around the place. I got round in 4:14, which I was pretty happy with. Obviously you were aiming for faster, but I'd say don't ruin the experience by pushing yourself too hard now - if you've got the long runs in the bank, you should be ok. I really hope it goes well for you.
Apr 2012
5:40pm, 3 Apr 2012
5,848 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
In my first marathon, I had gone up to 20 miles when my knee played up. I did no training at all (no running, no cycling) for five or so weeks. In the last week before the race, I did two runs of 2 miles each. If I had trained well, this would have been too little running even for a taper, whereas in my situation, it was a massive increase. Made it round the course with no averse effect on my knee.
May 2012
3:00pm, 1 May 2012
7 posts
  •  
Phil_BTT
Well what a lovely first marathon that was! Just a quick note to thank those above for their advice. As suggested I concentrated on getting my body back up to long slow runs and adjusted my expectations accordingly. Come race day the last 6 miles were very hard but everything hung together and I got round in 4:00:17.

Thanks again - Phil
May 2012
4:41pm, 3 May 2012
1,516 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
well done Phil :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Phil_BTT
I'm hoping to run my first marathon (Milton Keynes) on 29th of this month. I've been following the...