How much does a PT (personal trainer) cost?

4 watchers
Feb 2013
9:43am, 26 Feb 2013
50,438 posts
  •  
Gobi
The Premier course covers PT and massage.

I am a UKA qualified speed and endurance coach.

My biggest issue with PTs is they are often not runners and give poor advice on running. People make assumptions that a PT can teach anything when often they have no knowledge.
Feb 2013
9:44am, 26 Feb 2013
1,806 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
That is an excellent point - I think the main reason that I stuck with mine was that he was a runner too so identifying goals and tying the PT sessions to improving my running was easy.
Feb 2013
10:15am, 26 Feb 2013
19,319 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I like the idea of PT + massage/therapy in one session, like Lou said. That said, I get a great deal on massage from a club mate. She's really good and I get nearly 1.5 hour for £25. My wife bought me a block of 6 last birthday that will have seen me through Loch Ness and VLM.

Lou's point about if you have the financial means, but also if you have specific goals you can't achieve sound right. So far, I haven't found any training that I can't get from a book, advice from Fetch or club mates and as for doing it - I just tell myself to do it and I do. Time will tell if that has been good enough.

Gobi's £25 a session sounds very good value. :-)G
Feb 2013
10:32am, 26 Feb 2013
50,443 posts
  •  
Gobi
I should say. Dont think joining a running will get you good running advice.

Some club coaches are great for the 800 but have no idea how to coach a 10km never mind a marathon.

Join a club but do research before you ask a coach for advice .
Feb 2013
11:48am, 26 Feb 2013
1,656 posts
  •  
Wobbling
I was given appalling advice from one of the coaches at my former runner club: "the only thing stopping you running fast is your breathing". Utter rubbish. The club also offered marathon training with a local tri guy. He had been quite a useful marathon runner in his youth and unfortunately all his advice was based on his own experienced and therefore somewhat limited if you were a 30 something slow woman attempting her first marathon.
Feb 2013
11:50am, 26 Feb 2013
68,491 posts
  •  
santababy
:)G as you know i recently got myself a PT £30 a pop. I did say in my blog my reasons behind it.I'm only seeing him once a week as Ian already traning plan running wise. As to to whether i'll get results, ask me on June24th ;)
Feb 2013
12:00pm, 26 Feb 2013
19,323 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Santa - you fall into the "specific goals" camp in my mind. You have a specific strengthening goal that you need to achieve. It's not something that will "just come" with running, so you need to do some specific strength training. You already had done some general strength training, and done brilliant running training, of course. You then tried your target event, did great, but had a recurrence of the same injury (or warning signs of it). Very specific problem, all things done to rectify, so now moving on to PT. Very valid. And I think it will make a brilliant difference for you and you'll storm it this time.

I suppose it's the "I need a PT to get out of my bed" type folk that I think is a bit... self-indulgent? But as I say, it's prob just jealousy on my part!

I really want to come to cheer at WHW this year. I might just come for Sat night/Sun morn to cheer you all in, but not be in anyone's support crew this year. :-)G
Feb 2013
12:13pm, 26 Feb 2013
50,450 posts
  •  
Gobi
Wobb i think you just highlighted all my concerns

I coach people who run sub 3 to people trying for sub 5 and i can confirm the training is completely different
Feb 2013
12:16pm, 26 Feb 2013
15,369 posts
  •  
FenlandFunRunner
My guess is that being a 'trainer' is really tough, as how can you really know what the person being trained is going through (mentally and physically). Being able to push when required and back off must be a difficult call.
Feb 2013
12:18pm, 26 Feb 2013
68,492 posts
  •  
santababy
I'd be so delighted to see you there :)

I think if money wasnt an object, i'd see a PT twice a week. I've no problem at all getting up at 4.30 and running but when it comes to gym stuff i start off full of enthusiasm then suddenly finding myself dropping sessions at drop of hat for sillier and sillier reasons (i'm washing my hair) ;)

god knows why i do that cause i actually love it when i AM doing it!

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Hi folks
Seems to be a lot of folk on here have a PT (personal trainer).

How much does it cost?...