How and why did you start running? [150 word challenge]

28 watchers
Sep 2019
11:10pm, 30 Sep 2019
First-time poster!!
  •  
sparklecloud
I used to do the 'running on the spot' exercise back when Wii Fit was a big thing and always fancied doing it for real, but it wasn't until one day in 2015 that I was sitting on my sofa playing videogames and suddenly thought 'I'd like to be able to run forever, just like the characters I'm playing'. I went out the next day and have never looked back.

(First post, btw. I'm new! *waves*)
Sep 2019
11:35pm, 30 Sep 2019
272 posts
  •  
mascott514
Nice post, LL. Its lovely to hear how running helps us heal...

Welcome Sparklecloud!
Oct 2019
7:26am, 1 Oct 2019
22,777 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Welcome sparkle cloud :-) Great first post - and if you haven’t given up video games, there’s a thread somewhere for video gaming Fetchies :-)
Oct 2019
7:28am, 1 Oct 2019
34,538 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Hi sparklecloud :-)
PK
Oct 2019
7:50am, 1 Oct 2019
23 posts
  •  
PK
I was 39, and it started because my Best Man had been talking into doing the GSR for his work. He goaded me into doing it :). First few weeks I couldn't run a mile without stopping about three times (despite the fact I cycled to work). Six years on, and things are certainly different :)
Oct 2019
7:55am, 1 Oct 2019
446 posts
  •  
Turtlemama
I gained weight and lost fitness when I traded self employment for life in the NHS with crazy shifts. Rock climbing and hillwalking 3 times a week stopped, so I started running. Very hit and miss for years until daughter decided I was running the local half last yr. Still overweight but much fitter!
Oct 2019
7:55am, 1 Oct 2019
57,240 posts
  •  
swittle
Good stuff, sparklecloud - I know you'll find kindred spirits here. :)

Reading back, it's clear that 'get fit, lose weight' is but the tip of a huge iceberg. For example, Raemond and Love Lettuce used running as a route out of bad times - to say the least. It's also what attachs to the sport - the 'peri running' - for instance, kit; parkrun; meeting other runners, aims, goals, targets....
Oct 2019
8:10am, 1 Oct 2019
24,173 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Here's my reason.

Cycling was boring.
Oct 2019
8:15am, 1 Oct 2019
57,244 posts
  •  
swittle
:)
Oct 2019
10:27am, 1 Oct 2019
97 posts
  •  
Neal
Three years ago to the day*, as a depressed overweight 48 year old who had never done any exercise I realised I was getting very out of breath rather than just out of breath when walking up stairs.

I’d heard about parkrun on a podcast, and had heard of Couch to 5k somewhere, so decided to do C25K then get into the habit of doing parkrun regularly.

Bought a pair of trainers and just five months after making my decision I managed my first run…

Bad knees meant I was limited to one or two runs a week rather than the three “required”.**

I managed my first parkrun at the end of July 2017, ten months after deciding to start, and have now done over 100.

Now I’m fitter than I’ve ever been, lighter than since my age hit double figures and coping better with my depression.

*Well, to the week or so, but about the start of October 2016
**Which enabled me do some leg exercises which sorted out my knees

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hard to believe there wasn't a thread for this already (unless I've forgotten). Here'...