HM this weekend, worried about the heat

5 watchers
May 2012
8:50am, 23 May 2012
21,388 posts
  •  
Nellers
Plod, yes agreed you do expect warm weather in may but you also expect a few weeks of warm weather to acclimatise a bit before your run. That's notbeen the case this year so I can see Nelly's dilemma.
May 2012
9:17am, 23 May 2012
2,481 posts
  •  
Doctor K
Mick's put what I would have said -drink at every station and if you want to be more secure carry some. Have a nice easy start and enjoy the weather, condtitions are rarely perfect in any race just do the best you can.
May 2012
12:53pm, 23 May 2012
603 posts
  •  
NellyMarcos
I have done this race every year for 4 years its my local one, its been as early as April 15 and I think this is the latest one, like Nellers said it would be just good if it gradually got warm but in this country we go from cold to heatwave in a week. I will still enjoy it I know that. I may do a race later in the year, already have a 10k in September so may look for one after that. I really like the wet hat idea, but may just throw water over my head! There are a couple of fountains on route, may just go for a swim! ;)
May 2012
1:02pm, 23 May 2012
1,500 posts
  •  
fleecy
Bit of a bummer about the hosepipe ban: friendly locals giving you a shower is usually the only good bit about a race on a hot day :) Don't forget the suncream!
May 2012
1:05pm, 23 May 2012
2,760 posts
  •  
Battlecat
I did Edinburgh marathon on both hot years so here's my tips:

1. Hat
2. Suncream
3. Water
4. Have at least on sports drink - you need to replace salt & electrolytes too
5. Get in the shade where you can
May 2012
1:09pm, 23 May 2012
604 posts
  •  
NellyMarcos
Oh just thought there is sometimes a chap with one of those garden sprayers full of water, fingers crossed. I thought they had lifted hosepipe ban from the torrential rain we had a fortnight ago?
May 2012
3:33pm, 23 May 2012
767 posts
  •  
monsenb1
Sheffield half Nelly? :) I'm doin that too. Hopefully with the nice early start it wont be too bad by the end, and we might even get a cooling breeze..But agree with what all the others say. Run a little slower, a small reduction is pace helps a lot..and obviously more fluids, but there is the danger of taking on too much liquid..
May 2012
3:35pm, 23 May 2012
21,504 posts
  •  
Old Croc
think about dehydration during the week also - not at last minute
May 2012
5:47am, 24 May 2012
606 posts
  •  
NellyMarcos
Yes it is Sheffield. Am already drinking more as aircon has been stolen at work, no windows! I always try and drink a bit more leading up to any race, but on the day I think it helps to stay cooler rather than drinking too much, you just end up sloshing round!
May 2012
7:58am, 24 May 2012
676 posts
  •  
Labwalker
This is a great thread, I am doing my second half next weekend. Mull of Kintyre. Thanks for all the experience. And thanks Nelly for starting thread.

About This Thread

Maintained by NellyMarcos
Hi, after doing all training in gales, wind rain, cold I am doing HM this weekend in suddenly forcas...