Half Marathon Before Marathon - Advice Please

1 watcher
Mar 2015
1:24pm, 29 Mar 2015
9 posts
  •  
BrixtonBlade
Hadn't thought about doing a half after the marathon but that's a very good idea. Is 3 or 4 weeks after enough time to recover?

In the end I ended up not making the half as my wife got called in to work so I had to babysit. Pretty annoying but looking on the brightside it perhaps saved me from myself. Thanks again for the advice everyone.
Mar 2015
2:57pm, 30 Mar 2015
2,222 posts
  •  
Old Man
I'd suggest 5 or 6 weeks after the marathon for the half. You need around 4 weeks to fully recover from a marathon, but after a couple of weeks you'll be running a bit, just not hard, then after a 3/4 weeks you can fine tune for a couple of weeks, easy week leading up to the half then hit it!!
Mar 2015
3:18pm, 30 Mar 2015
4,380 posts
  •  
Joe Hawk
As it's your first marathon I would wait and see how long it takes to recover.

I would guess that you would be okay after 3 weeks but it is pushing it, I'd leave it a month to be safe.
Apr 2015
7:39pm, 1 Apr 2015
10 posts
  •  
BrixtonBlade
Cheers guys. Will see what's near me. Will feel like a sprint compared to the full one with a bit of luck!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by BrixtonBlade
I'm running my first marathon in 2 weeks time. Training has gone fine and I'm injury and niggle f...