Moving up from 10k to the half

3 watchers
Apr 2013
11:40am, 25 Apr 2013
114 posts
  •  
icelandic trigirl
Hello,
I'm a rubbish 10k runner/triathlete (Olympic distance) but for various reasons am thinking of spending the next few months upping my running endurance and trying to do a half-marathon. The furthest training run I've ever done was about 15k; that was by mistake and I was absolutely shattered. I've never raced more than 10k.

My 10k PB (recent) is 50.31 and I'm 35 yo and female. I started running in 2011, but I have a good base of swimming behind me and a couple more years of cycling (nothing exceptional there though either).

Do you know any good training plans to up my distance?

Thanks!
Apr 2013
11:54am, 25 Apr 2013
380 posts
  •  
faithfulred
I'd recommend this book: amazon.co.uk

An excellent read and very useful training plans.
Apr 2013
11:57am, 25 Apr 2013
6,419 posts
  •  
RichHL
I found going from 10k to a Half very intimidating. I remember thinking that it seemed a sod of a long way to run. However, you don't eat an elephant, or a small rhino, all at once. You eat it one bite at a time. Or you would if they weren't endangered.

Plan a series of runs up to near race distance, going a little further each week.Go from 10k to 12k, 14k, etc up to 20k. Do them slowly. Concentrate on settling into the rhythm of running. Don't worry about pace or anything. Just run. You'll find that you're soon running 18-20k and not thinking about the distance at all.

Supplement those runs with a bit of speedwork or hills and a tempo run once every couple of weeks. It won't be easy but it's straightforward and you can do it. You have a respectable 10k PB so you're not rubbish at all.
Apr 2013
1:52pm, 25 Apr 2013
418 posts
  •  
Fitz
I went from 10k to HM a couple of years back using a plan from RW smartcoach. A good variety of runs, no scarily big mileages and a gradual pace increase as well. Worked for me!
Apr 2013
11:13pm, 25 Apr 2013
118 posts
  •  
icelandic trigirl
Thanks for the advice! I'm not sure I'm confident enough to buy a book for "serous runners" but at least on amazon one has the luxury of anonymity! I'll take a look. I'll also try to find that RW plan, Fitz. I never thought a year ago I'd ever be arsed running more than an hour at a time.
And I'll have to find out what tempo run means (yes, I read the glossary but aren't all my runs 'moderately fast paced'?! At least moderately fast paced for me, which is a wee Sunday recovery for normal people).
Apr 2013
11:26pm, 25 Apr 2013
4,851 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
I went from 10k to HM a couple of years ago. It's quite a step but easily achieved if you are fit (and you're fitter than you give yourself credit for), although you'll need to train more specifically if you want a good time. The thing that really got me round was having a solid partner to run with (cheers Nywanda, late of this parish).

Go for it!
Apr 2013
9:09am, 26 Apr 2013
844 posts
  •  
Mave
I used Paula Radcliffes book How to Run to go from 10k to HM and did it last year.

The key is to SLOW DOWN on your longer runs. Not all your runs should be the same pace. You'll need to embrace the Long Slow Run to up your mileage, in the way Rich was describing. These should be done slowly, so you can hold a conversation. This is where a running buddy comes in handy!

I found that for my LSR I would have the same basic route with the same start and finish. Then I'd add on the extra mile in the middle. So on the home run I was on a familiar route and it felt very doable. If you have to walk that extra middle bit, do. The next week you'll be running it.

Then your other runs will be shorter and you can do tempo runs, intervals, or whatever.

You have a good 10k time, far better than mine, so you're not rubbish or slow at all! I'm no expert, and not a very good runner, but hope that I can help a bit.
Apr 2013
9:24am, 26 Apr 2013
2,102 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I've done this this year - although I was aiming to do it last autumn but then injury got in the way - I followed a RW training plan - the sub-2.15 one in the garmin-ready section - although I just printed it off and stuck it to the fridge as my garmin is only a 110. I trained to pace per mile rather than heart rate. You can tinker with the target paces by adjusting your target finish time for the Half - I adjusted mine to 2.05. It's a good plan - runs are 4 times a week with one interval session. The long run builds up, with one run of 14 miles, 2 of 10 and all the rest below that. I got round my first half in 2.02.16 in March and loved every minute of it, and as an added bonus brought my 10k time down as well. Slowing down the long runs is critical - and although I had run alone for years I ended up with a running buddy and it made all the difference. Adding distance into the middle of the run is a good tip, or near the beginning, as psychologically you feel better towards the end when you're tired but on familiar ground. Good luck!
Apr 2013
10:06am, 26 Apr 2013
1,202 posts
  •  
Hackett
When I started training for London Marathon 5 years ago I started from scratch. Despite playing football semi pro. My first races were 10ks just to get me used to running races then as I trained to run longer I moved up to 10 mile races then HMs ... I never read any books but tapped into the oracle of Fetcheveryone and running magazines. Just built my training distances up slowly and after 4 months was clocking up HMs

Just treat them as a learning experience and don't set off to quickly.
May 2013
8:55pm, 20 May 2013
158 posts
  •  
icelandic trigirl
turns out there is a half in 2 weeks time and I'm going to give it a go! I ran 15k yesterday, after a 52k bike ride (first of the season) the day before, and was ok so I reckon I can do it. Not fast, just finish. I might even leave my watch at home.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Hello,
I'm a rubbish 10k runner/triathlete (Olympic distance) but for various reasons am thinking ...