Help needed: Any fetchies out there know a simple way to transfer music files from CD to PC?

2 watchers
May 2018
4:28pm, 28 May 2018
647 posts
  •  
bonners
Why does the advance of technology have to make everything more difficult (including my sodding job, nut that's another story).

Anyway, simply, for many years I have always transferred my CDs to my PC using Windows Media Player. Nice and strightforward, a bit of drag and dropping and there you go.

Now it has disappeared.

Windows say you can download it, you can, but it is still not there. Very, very frustrating.

So far I have tried three different alternatives, none of which do what I want, they are all trying to download it onto a cd. I've tried VLC, Burnaware and Nero, none of them do the simple things I want them to.

Please tell me there is a simple solution to this. I do not want to sign up to anything that puts them on the cloud, streams stuff or anything like that, I simply want to store them on my external hard drive.

I feel like if you dont want to join the streaming and online world life is being made deliberately more difficult.

Hopefully there are some fetchies out there that can offer a simple solution to this that doesnt involve any kind of streaming service.

Cheers

Bonners
May 2018
4:30pm, 28 May 2018
13,976 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
itunes?
May 2018
4:34pm, 28 May 2018
648 posts
  •  
bonners
Is itunes not a subscription service? I'm not interested in anything that is.
zp
May 2018
4:40pm, 28 May 2018
357 posts
  •  
zp
I used to use CDex - cdex.mu

Not sure if it's changed recently, but it used to be fairly simple and straightforward to use, and didn't install a load of iffy extra software, which many such programs seem to do. Is free too.
May 2018
4:40pm, 28 May 2018
649 posts
  •  
bonners
Nope, not itunes, just keep trying to make me add stuff to their library, not a simple rip function. I'm heartily sick of this now.
May 2018
4:51pm, 28 May 2018
650 posts
  •  
bonners
zp, that is closer to it, not much choice on file type unfortunately, but definitely the type of thing I'm after.
May 2018
4:55pm, 28 May 2018
8,470 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
I've not "ripped" a cd for years, i am surprised with digital rights management software in place that it is possible to do this.
May 2018
5:03pm, 28 May 2018
651 posts
  •  
bonners
Up until recently I've done it all the time. Quite frankly I dont have an issue with it, they're my CDs that I've bought and I just want to listen to them in a different format. I realise it is an old fashioned way of doing things, I just hate streaming services.
SPR
May 2018
5:06pm, 28 May 2018
26,455 posts
  •  
SPR
Are you sure Windows media player can't do it? I'd expect it to be a big story if it was removed...
May 2018
5:10pm, 28 May 2018
652 posts
  •  
bonners
Yup, have a look at this article whic explains it:

betanews.com

Also roughly coincides with the last time I updated my cds on my pc. I guess there arent many people like me left who still download music, which would explain why there is no uproar about it.

By the way, the optional reinstall doesnt work. Well it does, but the media player is still not there, very strange.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Why does the advance of technology have to make everything more difficult (including my sodding job,...