Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Fetch Musicians

46 watchers
Nov 2020
11:43am, 13 Nov 2020
1159 posts
RunnyBunny
Mr RB wasn't allowed to learn an instrument at school because he got which was the high note and which was the low note wrong. He could tell which was which, but didn't know which term applied to which.
Nov 2020
12:24pm, 13 Nov 2020
14482 posts
Garfield
That's just bonkers!! :)
Dec 2020
11:03am, 4 Dec 2020
1167 posts
RunnyBunny
Sheku Kanneh-Mason's Mum's book is a Kindle deal today amazon.co.uk
Dec 2020
4:31pm, 11 Dec 2020
1174 posts
RunnyBunny
We have a tenor horn :-) I got a rental instrument rather than spending hundreds of quid on something I might not get on with, but I can get some notes out of it which is a start. Initially it felt blocked and I could only get a note by pressing a valve half down, but I twiddled the valve and it resolved the problem, so I guess all the bits where the tubes get changed by the valves had got out of whack. I have found some YouTubes. Mr RB sounds better than I do, but I think that's because I need to relax my embouchure more (probably too tight due to oboeing). It can't be heard outside the house, so my worries about annoying the neighbours are hopefully unfounded.
Dec 2020
4:35pm, 11 Dec 2020
14656 posts
Garfield
Yes, you'll need to relax the lips a bit. Try buzzing with just the mouthpiece to start off with, just to get the right feeling before putting it on the horn.
Dec 2020
4:50pm, 11 Dec 2020
24254 posts
Lizzie Whizzmas
T's teacher uses the Standard of Excellence books, and I think there are accompaniment tracks on YouTube.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by RunnyBunny
A thread for musicians - all instruments, all abilities. Here's a link to our lockdown band video, arranged and sorted out by the very talented EdJ
https://youtu.be/D_fVaVXKOIo