Great North Run 2019

17 watchers
Sep 2019
7:40pm, 8 Sep 2019
15,181 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Ive been wondering. GNR has a bigger field that VLM, but is way less hyped on here than VLM time and I wonder why.

Despite GNR being closer to me, I have never even considered taking part.
Sep 2019
7:56pm, 8 Sep 2019
4,479 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Around 2009-2012 we had loads of Fetchies doing GNR and even a couple of Fetch points. Not so many of us doing it now.
GNR is comparatively expensive for a half - around £50 for a place and that's if you get in through the ballot. It's busy, which can make it hard to run your best potential, and for a lot of people it's easier to get to London. There are more scenic runs too. But I've been told that on a good day like today, the support is like VLM. The locals certainly do their

That said, I recommend to try it if you can. Easy for me to say as I live about 30 mins from the start and finish.
Sep 2019
8:23pm, 8 Sep 2019
29,928 posts
  •  
DocMoye
I've done VLM and GNR this year. Similar weather and I'd say very similar level of support and course congestion. The big downside of GNR is transport .... I've done it twice now and both times the walk to the bus and then sitting on it for more than 2hrs to get back to Newcastle has been very unpleasant. Whereas I was home ( by tube and train ) in less time than that from VLM.
Sep 2019
8:24pm, 8 Sep 2019
43,063 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I last did GNR in 2003 and it was too congested, and too full of traffic faffage, even then. Never had a notion to go back. But in 2001, just after I'd decided I was going to learn to run and do FLM, the GNR television coverage (and particularly some fat blokes in pink shirts jiggling along laughing somewhere near the back) was one of the things that convinced me I really, really, really wanted to take up this running lark.
Sep 2019
8:33pm, 8 Sep 2019
4,480 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Yes, the transport can be a pain. There are limited options to get away from the finish and all are busy.

Sorry you had such a long journey Doc. I do the ferry and then get a lift. It can mean a lot of waiting around, but not too much sitting.
Sep 2019
8:57pm, 8 Sep 2019
29,929 posts
  •  
DocMoye
It didn't worry me so much this time as I had expected it and allowed a lot of time to get back before our train . But there were several people hastily trying to rearrange train tickets and one poor woman throwing up into her goodie bag ( it was very hot on the bus).
Sep 2019
9:33pm, 8 Sep 2019
330 posts
  •  
Hally
Mark - That sounds like it could have been me, had the buff as a bandanna rather than a beanie but other than that I match the description
Jan 2020
12:52pm, 6 Jan 2020
30,450 posts
  •  
Old Croc
Ballot open for 2020
Site is jammed! Cannot even register for ballot
Jan 2020
1:36pm, 6 Jan 2020
4,656 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
I'm in the ballot again. Logged in just after 10am and waited over an hour to get to the front of the queue. It usually calms down after the first day or two.
Jan 2020
1:41pm, 6 Jan 2020
898 posts
  •  
Roberto
I'm in the ballot as well. Never interested in it due to the cost really, but having moved over to the north east 3 years ago, it's one of those that I feel I have to do at least once. Wont do it again though as £58 is extortionate.

About This Thread

Maintained by TheScribbler
Oggy oggy oggy! This is the place for all things Great North Run 2019