Fetch Photographers

49 watchers
Sep 2015
9:06am, 10 Sep 2015
1,757 posts
  •  
sLickster
Oh, those inserts could be a saviour for me...as I actually just use my OMM 'running' bag, as it is so comfortable to wear to carry my stuff in. though it looks like just the top row are in stock and available at present.
Sep 2015
9:43am, 10 Sep 2015
21,138 posts
  •  
Dave A
The one we have got comes with inserts and some Velcro straps too.
Sep 2015
1:47pm, 10 Sep 2015
5,854 posts
  •  
Garfield
I've got a couple of Lowe Alpine ones with inserts. One backpack and a bag which looks like a camera with large zoom lens attached (very large) that I can tuck a couple of lenses into.
Sep 2015
12:34pm, 11 Sep 2015
241 posts
  •  
Mountkeen
You can get the inserts from various sites including eBay. That's where I've sourced mine. The site I linked to was simply to show the sort of thing you can get.
Sep 2015
4:29pm, 25 Sep 2015
4,059 posts
  •  
quimby
Folks, I am going to the cycling track champs in Manchester on Sunday. I have no idea how close you get to the track - we are in the front row. (Last champs I went to were in Leicester where you could stand right at the edge.) Is my 90-300mm lens going to be too big? Should I just take the standard 18-55? In a complete dither about this. I don't really want to take both as I'm already taking the 50mm (not necessarily for the cycling).
Nov 2015
9:36am, 3 Nov 2015
21,192 posts
  •  
Dave A
I see no one answered this. I think we're a bit late now. However, I have noticed that since we got our longer lens, regardless of focal length, the pictures have turned out better when I have been photographing at races (RNR and Parkruns at the moment).
Nov 2015
4:30pm, 3 Nov 2015
77,981 posts
  •  
GregP
Sorry, didn't see it. Front row of track is *RIGHT* on op of it. There's an advertising board between you and the racing. But you know that by now.
Dec 2015
8:03pm, 26 Dec 2015
21,222 posts
  •  
Dave A
So after a bit more practice etc, things appear to be coming along. I'm still doing my fair share of ok photo's, but occasionally I think I get a really good one.

I've started doing an online course, which has helped. The main encouragment I have had so far is to just go out and take photos, but fully use the camera settings.

The main thing I've found is using that I can get some decent pics using the auto settings, but I prefer the effects I am getting with manual settings.

This one is Cookie taken using auto settings. As much as I like it, it doesn't show how he appears to the eye due to the house lighting.

This one was done manually and captures how he looks to the naked eye. Much better, I think. But it did take longer to take than the other as I was fiddling about with the settings.

Another manual one, this time of Phoebe. She was in an even darker corner of the room and I had to fiddle about again.

Being able to point and press is good at times, but mostly I seem to like getting the settings right myself.

Suffice to say I'm enjoying it :-)
Dec 2015
10:09pm, 26 Dec 2015
1,797 posts
  •  
sLickster
It's good to have a play and to just look around :-)

I was literally chatting to a fellow spectator when I looked over their shoulder and saw a random tree in the middle of a field far away, then the runners emerged near it - it turned out to be quite an interesting shot! facebook.com

An interesting thing I've been noticing in these dark months is that some of the ISO values have been massive on some photos shot (I generally leave ISO on auto, on the overall manual setting). Like this classic style running shot - facebook.com - ended up as coming out at ISO 10,000, which seems mega high, but it still looks fairly good to my eye and not massively grainy!

Related to that is the position from where the photo is shot. In that one I was stood in a ditch at the side of the path, so the lens was at foot level. I'd tried it before like here - facebook.com - but as there was no ditch I was laid on the floor and felt a bit self-concious (and got a few funny looks!).

So yeah, I'm continuing to play and XC is great for it!
Dec 2015
10:10pm, 26 Dec 2015
1,798 posts
  •  
sLickster
Oh, and just for Dave, I forgot to mention I got a dog in the shot the other day too! :-)

facebook.com

About This Thread

Maintained by Hamsterbolt