Courageous Finish or Bad Marshalling

9 watchers
Dec 2012
6:05pm, 1 Dec 2012
1,210 posts
  •  
Christmas-smile
I think getting XC spikes through your leg could cause a fair bit of damage yeah. And if there was no rush in his treatment I don't know why they were so desperate to get him onto a stretcher.
Dec 2012
6:12pm, 1 Dec 2012
3,659 posts
  •  
CC2 Speedy Goth
One guy did stop to help but he got a whistle blown at him for his trouble. Seemingly stopping to help isn't permitted.

I have to say that rather upset me, if it was his decision to finish then a marshal should at least have stood behind him to protect him from the incoming runners and alert them to the potential hazard.
Dec 2012
6:21pm, 1 Dec 2012
227 posts
  •  
longsleighround (LWR)
A few people, including one bystander, did appear to offer assistance but, yes, he appeared to be in no fit state to make any rational decision about his own wellbeing.
Dec 2012
8:18pm, 1 Dec 2012
3,558 posts
  •  
Kieren
Speedy, assistance gets you disqualified in most events
Dec 2012
8:28pm, 1 Dec 2012
23,308 posts
  •  
Nellers
He was too far gone to decide for himself. Where was his coach? If I was his dad I'd be furious with the coach who let him roll about and crawl like that rather than getting him help. Bloody win-at-all-costs attitudes are dumb as duck. There's no pride in finishing that way when you don't know where you bloody well are. High school kids are no more than 16 aren't they? Adult marshals and officials should have responded to a medical emergency. Duty of care ? Do me a favour.
Dec 2012
8:40pm, 1 Dec 2012
10 posts
  •  
DavidM
As I see it any runner can fall, but once he collapsed on trying to get up then medical assistance should have been given immediately. Let's face it the medical people were just yards away its not the responsibility of the other runners when professional help is that close.
You can take part in many many races but you only have one life.
Hopefully the kid made a full recovery.
Dec 2012
8:42pm, 1 Dec 2012
7,097 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
Hmm. In forty years of running I have never seen anything like that. I have seen people projectile vomiting, falling over, stopping and giving up, fainting, and all kinds of stuff, but not crawling over the line.

Is there any chance (and I'm only asking a question) that he was actually being a bit of a drama queen for the sake of the crowd? I don't mean to sound heartless, but we have done gushing sympathy and shock already.

Now do I dare click Submit? Oops I did.
Dec 2012
9:06pm, 1 Dec 2012
16,412 posts
  •  
Johnny Christmas
It would help if people didn't stand there clapping and cheering him on like he's a brave soldier when in fact he's a medical emergency about to happen.
Dec 2012
9:34pm, 1 Dec 2012
3,489 posts
  •  
The Teaboy
Bad marshalling. Medical assistance comes first. It was clear he would have no impact on the results (and even if he would that is no excuse). Imagine something had gone wrong and they could have got to him earlier.
Dec 2012
9:37pm, 1 Dec 2012
16,416 posts
  •  
Johnny Christmas
There was a somewhat similar video doing the rounds years ago about two women crawling over the line in an IM. I found it a bit concerning if I'm honest. But I am probably in the minority. I'll see if I can find it.

... Sound of footsteps fading into the distance...

About This Thread

Maintained by Kieren
What are you thoughts?

Some are inspired and think this is it - finishing is everything, other mi...