Courageous Finish or Bad Marshalling

9 watchers
Dec 2012
9:42pm, 1 Dec 2012
16,417 posts
  •  
Johnny Christmas
.... Comes back... No idea how to copy the link.
Dec 2012
9:43pm, 1 Dec 2012
8,098 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
m.youtube.com
Dec 2012
9:43pm, 1 Dec 2012
8,099 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
This?
Dec 2012
9:44pm, 1 Dec 2012
16,418 posts
  •  
Johnny Christmas
That's the one!

Ta.
Dec 2012
9:47pm, 1 Dec 2012
14,384 posts
  •  
Night-owl
i remember that one. Quite distressing
Dec 2012
9:59pm, 1 Dec 2012
11,545 posts
  •  
Stander Claus
Bollocks to disqualification, I would stop and help - or at least until medical help arrived.

All three are courageous, but the medical staff failed for all of them.
I've been in two races with deaths. Ran past one of them as it was happening (staff were already there assisting). Not that I knew at that time that the person was dying.
Dec 2012
10:10pm, 1 Dec 2012
13,694 posts
  •  
HellsBells
The gent I binned my race for this morning is being kept in hospital tonight. There was no question of not stopping.
Am I correct in believing this incident concerned a child? Shame on the adults present
Dec 2012
10:27pm, 1 Dec 2012
23,310 posts
  •  
Nellers
He was a big lad but it was billed as a "High School Championship" so 16 yoa tops, I guess.

It shouldn't have been down to other runners. He collapsed, what, 10 metres from the line, where paramedics were waiting for him. If they need to get him stretchered off so soon after finishing they really should have got out there and collected him and sod the race.

Shameful.
Dec 2012
10:32pm, 1 Dec 2012
133 posts
  •  
K-Web
I'm not a runner (so I'm really a bit of a fraud on Fetch lol) but I am an RD - and I'd have had him off the course in double quick time once it was clear he hadn't just tripped and fallen. As race organisers there is a huge duty of care to your runners - and as has been said earlier, not just the one/ones immediately affected - and to me it's just pure negligence to have left him that long. It's an absolute disgrace.
Dec 2012
10:35pm, 1 Dec 2012
23,311 posts
  •  
Nellers
Lil and Johnny, the famous Crawl at the Ironman Worlds back in the 80s is a very famous incident and did a lot to put Ironman Tri in the public consciousness in the USA as it was shown on their major TV networks at the time.

A major difference between that and the incident shown is that they were 2 professional adult athletes, this was a schoolboy under the care of his coaches and the race organisers.

Even so, I think it's a tough call as to whether they shoudl have been medically assisted rather than allowed to finish.

About This Thread

Maintained by Kieren
What are you thoughts?

Some are inspired and think this is it - finishing is everything, other mi...