Courageous Finish or Bad Marshalling

9 watchers
Dec 2012
11:48am, 1 Dec 2012
3,557 posts
  •  
Kieren
What are you thoughts?

Some are inspired and think this is it - finishing is everything, other might thing WTF were the other runners, team mates and marshalls doing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xIzuyjCcZk&lc

I think he needed help and should have been pulled out.
Dec 2012
5:44pm, 1 Dec 2012
1,207 posts
  •  
Christmas-smile
I just find that upsetting. Yes it was courageous but I can't see pride in that. He was clearly not in a state to make a sensible decision, and who knows what longer term damage he could have caused himself. I'm with you that he should have been pulled out...
Dec 2012
5:48pm, 1 Dec 2012
1,208 posts
  •  
Christmas-smile
Also, to be a bit brutal, he was essentially causing a hazard in the course, which could have caused further injury to himself or injury to others
Dec 2012
5:49pm, 1 Dec 2012
981 posts
  •  
wiener dog
Why the hell did NOBODY stop to help him? I would have done even if I was gonna pb - this proves just how scewed up some peoples priorities are :-(
Dec 2012
5:50pm, 1 Dec 2012
1,209 posts
  •  
Christmas-smile
It's pretty brutal watching for that reason as much as any
Dec 2012
5:51pm, 1 Dec 2012
718 posts
  •  
Ade1973
Should have pulled the plug and got him off the course. Seems to be in a right mess. Why the urgency to get him onto a stretcher, when they've just stood and watched him for 3 minutes?
Dec 2012
5:55pm, 1 Dec 2012
2,116 posts
  •  
Duchess
What in heavens name is the point of having marshals or first aides if they don't intervene with a runner in that state; that's horrendous. As for the other runners, they should be ashamed of themselves. It's not the slopes of Everest, you're not going to die by stopping to help someone else.
Dec 2012
6:01pm, 1 Dec 2012
135 posts
  •  
southcoastclaret
Okay I'll bite!
Was he really in any danger, other than being run over? He clearly wasn't having a heart attack or anything.
As to the other runners - it's a race, in a cross country you are trying to get points for your team. I'd stop if someone was in medical need, but not if they've just overcooked it and gone off too fast. Quite how you can reach that point in a 5k I'm not really sure.
Dec 2012
6:02pm, 1 Dec 2012
14,898 posts
  •  
sheri3004
Ouch, that's awful :(

I would imagine he was saying he didn't want help - it did look like one guy (out of all the many who ran past, round and pretty much over him) did try to offer help - but yeah, he was hardly in a fit state to make that decision.
Dec 2012
6:03pm, 1 Dec 2012
14,899 posts
  •  
sheri3004
Looked like there was more wrong with him than having gone off too fast! The guy could barely move!

About This Thread

Maintained by Kieren
What are you thoughts?

Some are inspired and think this is it - finishing is everything, other mi...