Courageous Finish or Bad Marshalling

9 watchers
Dec 2012
10:47pm, 1 Dec 2012
8,101 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
Nellers - yup, the big difference is that one incident is with a child, and the other is with adult athletes. Your right, a tough call.

But, if I'm totally honest and I'd been in that state 20 yards from the finish of the NDW100 I think would have crawled to the finish, and would not have wanted any help. I'm sure the 2 Ironman competitors felt the same. However, I don't think the same applies for a schoolboy in a 5k.
Dec 2012
11:17pm, 1 Dec 2012
134 posts
  •  
K-Web
Just watched the original video for a second time immediately after watching the IM one - there is a massive difference between the 2 situations, and I'll be honest it upset me even more second time round.

A race organiser needs to make a call based on individual circumstances - to be in that state after a 5k is just wrong and I'd still have had him off the course. Irrespective of the fact he's just 16. Clearly a 100 miler, or an IM is a slightly different kettle of fish as it involves a completely different approach for the athlete both mentally and physically so IMVHO it's sort of comparing apples and oranges.....
Dec 2012
11:33pm, 1 Dec 2012
16,422 posts
  •  
Johnny Christmas
I'm more concerned about monomania to the point that you're jeopardising your health and, possibly, your life, than I am in drawing a direct parallel between the two situations.

As someone once said, "Keep living life as though there's no tomorrow, and you'll be right sooner than you think."

I know it's not a majority view, so I'll shut up.
Dec 2012
7:33am, 2 Dec 2012
23,315 posts
  •  
Nellers
Morning, peeps. I've only just got round to watching the IM crawl finish vid that had been posted and it wasn't the one I expected. The famous one, the one that made Ironman a story on US TV is this one, although there are obvious similarities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbWsQMabczM
Dec 2012
8:07am, 2 Dec 2012
13,800 posts
  •  
elfpint
Just seen this thread. I am absolutely disgusted by those looking on and more so by those cheering him like some sort of hero, encouraging him to keep going. He was clearly in great need of assistance and in no fit state to make any decisions. If that was my child (and he is a child) I would have been furious!

I echo what others have said. Grown women who are athletes and are close to finishing an IM are a whole different kettle of fish to a young person struggling at the end of a 5k. The fact that they could get themselves off the ground when he could merely roll around also makes it different
Dec 2012
8:55am, 2 Dec 2012
6,742 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
That's bloody awful. WTF were the marshalls doing? :(
Dec 2012
9:10am, 2 Dec 2012
10,385 posts
  •  
*jono*
the mans more or less collapsed - bit if first aid at least? or did I do a different course?
Dec 2012
12:50pm, 3 Dec 2012
2,660 posts
  •  
Mountain Cat
It's disgusting - he hasn't overcooked it, he's ill. And he's a minor, surrounded by adult doing absolutely nothing to help.
Dec 2012
1:13pm, 3 Dec 2012
299 posts
  •  
MillieB
That's horrific.

That's not going off too fast. What did the adults think they were doing? Apart from sweet feck all.
Dec 2012
1:25pm, 3 Dec 2012
57 posts
  •  
Phil70
I think I've heard somewhere that you are twice more likely to die doing a triathlon than a marathon. This figure must escalate for an Ironman. However, an adult finishing a marathon or an Ironman in this case is down to pride and determination to finish to bring in essential funds for a chosen charity. BUT - a young guy crawling at the end of a cross country is clearly wrong and medical aid is paramount, not just at the tape. I would have pulled my son out of the race in similar circumstances. After all, the race was effectively over as a contest and even a team event only usually takes the first finishers from each team into account. I agree with all you guys as to the incompetence of the race officials. I suppose this is where their disclaimer comes into effect that running is at an individuals own risk. A school cross country is not covered (I think) and the lad's coach must have been on the end of an almighty rollocking from his family afterwards.

About This Thread

Maintained by Kieren
What are you thoughts?

Some are inspired and think this is it - finishing is everything, other mi...