Cluck Cluck Cock-a-doodle... DOO!

1 lurker | 19 watchers
Apr 2015
12:08am, 3 Apr 2015
67,718 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Thanks Angus! Mine will have plenty of room, so not intensive... they will be free rangeing a lot so I have a look at pellets with grit added and the rest they will find :) I was going to ask for some straw from one of my neighbours...
Apr 2015
11:59am, 9 Apr 2015
4,438 posts
  •  
CStar
We appear to have inherited another chicken. One of DS2's friend's mother works in a nursery where they thought it would be lovely to incubate and hatch an egg (which of course it is), but didn't really think through what to do with the result. So we seem now somehow to be the proud owners of Chiquita a 4 week old Buff Orpington.
Apr 2015
12:00pm, 9 Apr 2015
4,439 posts
  •  
CStar
We appear to have inherited another chicken. One of DS2's friend's mother works in a nursery where they thought it would be lovely to incubate and hatch an egg (which of course it is), but didn't really think through what to do with the result. So we seem now somehow to be the proud owners of Chiquita a 4 week old Buff Orpington.
Apr 2015
12:40pm, 9 Apr 2015
67,757 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Ohhhh, buff orpingtons are lovely :)

My hen accommodation will be delivered on Monday and I am going to select and collect my chickens later next week, once the coop and run have been put together. I am getting them from a local breeder, through the local poultry group. I initially was going to get 'recycled' commercial hens, but they are not due for a while yet. I was also offered a trio of Pekins, but I don't want Bantams and I don't want a cockerel. I certainly don't want feathery legs! So allthough they are free to a good home, I have declined... Apparently, they get broody all the time, hence my friend having way too many!!!

I am going to get a Light Sussex, called Bianca, a Chalkhill Blue called Bruna and a Longtown Brown called Nera... all large fowl and good layers of cream, blue and dark brown eggs :)

Can't wait! :) :) :)
Apr 2015
1:23pm, 9 Apr 2015
4,440 posts
  •  
CStar
Perfect Hanneke. Be careful chickens are a) addictive and b) as you can see above, you always seem to end up with more than you thought you would !
We're planned to have just 4, but currently have 9 :-)
Apr 2015
5:19pm, 9 Apr 2015
67,760 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I am not worried, I have room ;) I also fancy ducks and guineafoul... I know it is a slippery slope, but I am restricted to what Laurianne will look after when I am away. She looks after the cat and is happy with a few chickens :)
Apr 2015
9:30pm, 15 Apr 2015
67,781 posts
  •  
Hanneke
They are here :) :) :)

Picked them up this afternoon and 30 seconds after being put in the run/coop they were pecking around. Have given them some mixed corn to settle in and threw them some nice fat worms when I was planting some things in the garden and the worms came up. They tucked themselves up at exactly sunset too... Now I won't sleep because I fear for the fox... :(

They are super! Bianca, Light Sussex, lays cream eggs, Bruna, Chalkhill Blue, lays blue eggs and Nera, Longtown Brown, lays very dark brown eggs.

[IMAGE]
Apr 2015
9:44pm, 15 Apr 2015
6,485 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
They are lovely Hanneke, lucky you! I'm still thinking about getting chickens
Apr 2015
9:44pm, 15 Apr 2015
6,486 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
They are lovely Hanneke, lucky you! I'm still thinking about getting chickens
Apr 2015
9:44pm, 16 Apr 2015
67,791 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Bruna has already laid an egg :-o

[IMAGE]

About This Thread

Maintained by
A thread for chicken fanciers! Donkeys and some goats allowed too, we are a liberal lot ;)

Also for all things farmyard related, like cheese, eggs, fruit, veg, ducks and their delicious eggs... you name it :)