•  
Hanneke
A thread for chicken fanciers!
Sep 2013
6:51pm, 22 Sep 2013
63,761 posts
  •  
Hanneke
As I am no longer allowed to talk chickens on the bike thread ;)

*awaits Dr Bob and Phook*
Sep 2013
6:56pm, 22 Sep 2013
5,442 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
I look after my friend's chickens when she goes on holiday and I'm thinking of getting some of my own. Any advice is gratefully received :-)
Sep 2013
7:03pm, 22 Sep 2013
4,930 posts
  •  
DrBob
Hello! :-)
Sep 2013
7:07pm, 22 Sep 2013
4,931 posts
  •  
DrBob
Chickens are pretty easy to keep, MrsS, and make great pets. Depends on breed, number you want and how much space you've got as to what sort of housing you need. Some garden centres sell chicken coops with runs which would be ok for three or four birds, specially if you can let them out for a run around occasionally. We have to watch out for foxes, and make sure we shut the house at night.
Love getting fresh eggs!
Sep 2013
7:24pm, 22 Sep 2013
5,443 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
Thanks for info DrBob! My friend had 3 hens until one went missing :-(. They are kept in an Omlet coop, it's a plastic thing. She has quite a large area for them to run around in too. We have a large garden so that will be fine. How do the chickens get on over winter? We had loads of snow last year, I was wondering about waiting until the spring to get ours. My friends are going on holiday next month so not long to wait til I can collect more eggs :-)
Sep 2013
7:30pm, 22 Sep 2013
11,921 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Just popping in to say that I look after my friends chooks when she's away. They have a wooden hen-house in an enclosure surrounded by a weave fence with a leccy one enclosed.

They get let out into her big garden a lot and her small cats pretend to stalk them but then run away terrifed at the last minute. :) They don't pay any attention to the felines.

When she first got them, they wouldn't go into the coop at dusk, so I'd have to grab them in their dozy state off the top of the coop and stuff them inside.
Sep 2013
7:34pm, 22 Sep 2013
8,889 posts
  •  
McGoohan
We looked after a friend's for a week while they went away. They brought the Omlet thing round to our house and we put it in our back garden.

After a week, the grass was all but gone. There were only 3 of the buggers and they turned the ground to crap very very quickly. I reckon you either need a really big garden to keep em or not to give much of a shit about the state of it.
Sep 2013
7:38pm, 22 Sep 2013
5,444 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
I would happily have less grass to cut! And the eggs are much nicer I think than shop-bought ones.

RS that is funny that they wouldn't go in the coop! The hens I looked after seem v obedient, they could be shooed in
Sep 2013
7:42pm, 22 Sep 2013
11,922 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
They're fine now Mrs S. Model hens.

Oh and I made the best tiramisu ever with eggs 10 mins out of the hens.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hanneke
A thread for chicken fanciers! Donkeys and some goats allowed too, we are a liberal lot ;)

Also for all things farmyard related, like cheese, eggs, fruit, veg, ducks and their delicious eggs... you name it :)