Cluck Cluck Cock-a-doodle... DOO!

19 watchers
May 2015
8:45pm, 2 May 2015
1,801 posts
  •  
Cyclops
All eggs hatched successfully and are cute, fluffy and lovely! Girls are brown and boys are yellow. I have found a smallholder who is prepared to take all the chicks, even the boys.... He lives a long way from his nearest neighbours.
May 2015
8:26pm, 10 May 2015
3,263 posts
  •  
Pou Pou LePhÔõk
Strange goings on at phook pharm. One of the chickens has laid this, along with a shell-less egg.

[IMAGE]

Apparently it's a lash egg.
May 2015
8:26pm, 10 May 2015
3,264 posts
  •  
Pou Pou LePhÔõk
...not the 2p piece, that would be silly. That's just there for size.
May 2015
8:39pm, 10 May 2015
67,881 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Ahhhh... hmmm... I found something similar, not so long ago, thinking it was caused by Bianca's bout of the runs... looked like blood stained poop...

Now she has started laying! Her first egg came the day before yesterday, small and perfectly formed, but with a crack, so I ate it right away... Yesterday saw a large egg from her, which I have just eaten, and it was a double yolker...

Ever so slightly disappointed, as I thought she'd lay cream eggs. These are pale, sort of peachy, brown...

Can't be from Nera, because she is not old enough yet and she is supposed to lay dark brown eggs...
May 2015
8:40pm, 10 May 2015
67,882 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I haven't had a shell less egg but I have had a rubbery, empty, shell. Apparently that is quite common from young, prolific layers.

Off to google turd like egg things...
Aug 2015
1:28pm, 19 Aug 2015
4,917 posts
  •  
CStar
In case anyone ever needs it...

the Hen Hotel - looking after our chickens while we move house :-)

the-hen-hotel.co.uk
Feb 2016
9:43am, 15 Feb 2016
2,205 posts
  •  
Cyclops
This year's eggs are due to arrive today! I am excited!! Last year's chicks were released on to farmland and woods that belong to relatives of friends and I am eating their eggs...
EdJ
Feb 2019
9:54pm, 23 Feb 2019
289 posts
  •  
EdJ
With apologies for the rubbish photo...

We're down to one chicken at the moment, and I think she's feeling a bit lonely. The back door was open this afternoon, so she wandered in and sat watching the rugby for two hours.

Feb 2019
6:50pm, 24 Feb 2019
70,281 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Oh that is so lovely EdJ. Having one chicken left is something one tries to avoid. They do get lonely and also, she will get pecked on by new arrivals...
Feb 2019
8:33pm, 24 Feb 2019
7,468 posts
  •  
CStar
Sadly we lost our remaining 3 on Friday night. Fox came into the garden and took the heads off them all leaving the bodies totally intact. Wouldn't mind so much if it had actually taken one to eat. At least it was quick, but we are very sad. :-( Can't decide if we will restock or call it a day after 6 years.

About This Thread

Maintained by
A thread for chicken fanciers! Donkeys and some goats allowed too, we are a liberal lot ;)

Also for all things farmyard related, like cheese, eggs, fruit, veg, ducks and their delicious eggs... you name it :)