Arthritis on toes

10 watchers
Jan 2016
4:08pm, 25 Jan 2016
12,802 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
My hands were bad today as well DQ...just shoot me now :-(
I used to take Diclofenac so might as the gp at work tomorrow if its worth starting again.
Jan 2016
6:24pm, 25 Jan 2016
2,149 posts
  •  
Cyclops
Another one with hurting thumb and big toe joints watching this thread with interest.
Jan 2016
6:59pm, 25 Jan 2016
24,902 posts
  •  
idio
I've got arthritis in my right big toe that was discovered while having an MRI for a different foot problem, explained why that toe did hurt though :) Found that the Nortriptyline that i'm taking for said foot problem cured the big toe from hurting.

Not much help I know but curious as to what others use as i'm hoping to come off the Nortriptyline soon.
Jan 2016
10:07pm, 25 Jan 2016
1,291 posts
  •  
Lills
Painful big toe joints here too. As a result I ended up spraining by big toe because it affected my running gait. I went down the physio route and have orthotics which help to a certain extent. I couldn't bear the top of the toe box touching the top of my big toe, so I tried different lacing to relieve the pressure off the big toe joint. I also find a shoe with a stiffer fore foot sole helps too, sonI don't flex the toe so much when I'm running. Things have improved for me but the pain is still there but bearable. The next stage is to see a GP or podiatrist and maybe an xray but I can live with it at the moment. Dr google says it is hallux limitus.
Jan 2016
10:19pm, 25 Jan 2016
13,098 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
That's what my podiatrist said I have in my right foot Lills, with hallux rigidus (the next stage on :-() in my left. I'm sure she's right but the pain in the ball of my right foot is something relatively new. I get a lot of what I assume is nerve pain in both feet too.

I thought my problems were due to wearing high heels over the years but the podiatrist said the hallux rigidus etc is just down to bad luck/genes/whatever.
Jan 2016
10:23pm, 25 Jan 2016
12,814 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Lills thanks for that...it seems to describe my symptoms to a tee. :-(
It could also be whats causing the pain in my knee.
LD I thought the same about the high heels and standing all day in them when I worke in retail.
Feb 2016
6:16pm, 8 Feb 2016
13,078 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Hi, just been to doc so made an appointment to get bloods to rule out gout and do RA bloods, says my left knee is in a bit of a state but nothing to be done with it for the moment as it is wear & tear and still have good ROM in my hips, so will wait and see what comes back but in the meantime keep going with voltarol gel on the toes and knee :-)
Feb 2016
7:43am, 9 Feb 2016
1,406 posts
  •  
Fitz
Another one starting to think the family arthritis gene is catching up with me. Apart from glucosamine (which is available in health food stores), are any of the treatments described above (Diclofenax / Dicloflex, Nortriptyline) or their non-branded equivalents available OTC, or are they all prescription only?
Feb 2016
11:22am, 9 Feb 2016
13,091 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Volerol gel contains diclofenac so can buy that. My gp at work says ibuprofen tabs is a good anti inflammatory as well which you can buy.
Good luck
Feb 2016
11:34am, 9 Feb 2016
1,407 posts
  •  
Fitz
Great, thanks LG.

About This Thread

Maintained by Lip Gloss
Just been a longish (well for me) and have a heat pad on my back and my calf guards on (trying my be...