Arthritis and running, what's the chat?

4 watchers
Feb 2017
9:34pm, 18 Feb 2017
364 posts
  •  
Mr. White (was Fat Boarder)
Hi folks. Looking for thoughts. I've had niggling hip/pelvis issues for 6 months which after x-ray has showed i have mild-moderate arthritis in the hip (which was a shock being "only" 45) + some minor bone-spur impingement. Anyone got any experience/advice on running versus arthritis...? I'm not currently in a great deal of pain (so that's good & makes me think I'll be able to keep running if I make some changes) but I'm also aware that I don't want to do anything daft that would worsen the situation.

I'm hoping that physio/strengthening with the aim of getting myself sorted 1st, I can maybe then work back to 'some' running eventually, maybe on trails. I'll need to see the GP and physio 1st I guess but if anyone's any experience or views I'd be grateful to hear them.
Feb 2017
9:43pm, 18 Feb 2017
35,513 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Working with the physiotherapist and getting your niggles sorted out is the most important thing. The arthritis that showed up on the x-ray may turn out to be a red herring; many of us will have arthritis in our necks, lower backs, hips, knees, ankles or feet, and have no symptoms whatsoever from it.

Don't sell all your running kit yet, but it may be worth investing in a bicycle ;)
Feb 2017
10:02pm, 18 Feb 2017
365 posts
  •  
Mr. White (was Fat Boarder)
thanks Velociraptor, I actually do think that the problems I have just now are not actually caused by the arthritis (I think it's posture-related + I noticed my running gait has shifted in the last year). I'm also conscious that I could be clutching at straws so it's good to hear another opinion :) bike is getting taken out tomorrow ;)
Aug 2021
4:41pm, 16 Aug 2021
12,339 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Am going to try and re-engage this thread

Already have diagnosis of osteoporosis in back/hips and Osteoarthritis in knees and today have had confirmation of Osteoarthritis in feet, big toes and hands.

I have read that running, but smaller amounts can be beneficial- anyone on here have any advice/tips or experience ?.
Aug 2021
12:52am, 23 Aug 2021
367 posts
  •  
Mr. White
Hi Mandymooo - others will know better but my understanding is that managing arthritis is different for each person. keeping the joint mobile is important, but ideally not in a way that's causing pain. I'm not running just now because it hurts my hip when I run, so am rowing and cycling instead. I've read that running doesn't "damage" your joints but on the flipside, runnig gives more impact for your joints to manage than, say, swimming, cycling etc. I reckon that exercise overall is beneficial, just don't do it if it hurts!
Aug 2021
1:19am, 23 Aug 2021
12,383 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Thanks Mr White

I do walk every day and am currently swimming..cycling is hit and miss as makes the hands ache.

Am off to see a physio this week so will have a chat with them

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Mr. White
Hi folks. Looking for thoughts. I've had niggling hip/pelvis issues for 6 months which after x-ray ...