Arthritis on toes

10 watchers
Jan 2016
1:46pm, 25 Jan 2016
12,794 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Just been a longish (well for me) and have a heat pad on my back and my calf guards on (trying my best to stay injury free this year) but am finding my big toe joints are very sore and finding it hard to walk without looking like a duck...I have arthritis in my feet.
Question: is there anything I can take before/after a run or anything I can wear on the feet?

TIA.
Jan 2016
1:58pm, 25 Jan 2016
13,089 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
LG I too have very painful toe joints so I shall watch this thread with interest.

I have obtained some insoles from a podiatrist in the past - she cut holes where my big toe joint would be, to give them more room and thus less pressure. They helped to an extent but whatever my problem is (and I don't think it's arthritis as the joints are not hot or swollen) seems to have gone beyond thier help now :-(. However you might find some orthotics helpful?
Jan 2016
1:59pm, 25 Jan 2016
13,090 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
*their*
Jan 2016
2:00pm, 25 Jan 2016
20,288 posts
  •  
colettedeann
LG - do u have slightly broad feet for a woman?

i used to have permanent pain after running in ig toe joints - i was running in ladies trainers - when i had trainers fitted was put in the broader woman's 'D' shoe - and was advised by fetchies that was ok to run in men's as they are a 'D' width -possibly something to think about

hope u find something that works for u x
Jan 2016
2:09pm, 25 Jan 2016
12,796 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
LD I have orthotics from the podiatrist and they have certainly helped with the blisters.

Colette I did think about wider trainer as I have a wide foot so may think about that for my next purchase. Thanks
Jan 2016
2:09pm, 25 Jan 2016
9,015 posts
  •  
Columba
I have no specific advice on toes. However, I have arthritic joints in my hands, especially the joint at the base of the thumb which used to hurt. I had injections into the joints, but barely any improvement. I started taking glucosamine with chondroitin by way of protection for my knee joints - this was soon after I started running, i.e. 14 years ago. I did not expect to notice any effects, as knees were not bothersome. When I'd been taking it for about 3 months I realized my thumb/wrist joints had stopped hurting; and they have given next to no trouble ever since (though misshapen). Worth a try - if you haven't already tried.
Jan 2016
2:11pm, 25 Jan 2016
12,797 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Thanks Columba, take glucosamine have done for years but don't know it it has the chrondrotin so will try anything.
Jan 2016
2:21pm, 25 Jan 2016
13,092 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Columba that could be helpful for me, thanks. Can't do any harm anyway.
Jan 2016
3:27pm, 25 Jan 2016
5,633 posts
  •  
bigleggy
I've been the Docs about this and got prescribed Dicloflex - I take it if and when it flares up but seeing as my running has mostly been under 5 miles recently I haven't had to for some time.

It really does seem to work though !
Jan 2016
3:31pm, 25 Jan 2016
2,311 posts
  •  
DoricQuine
Another one going down the arthritic path though my toes don't hurt when I run luckily - only when I wear my killer heels ;)
It's my hands that are beginning to cause concern so will watch this thread with interest.

About This Thread

Maintained by Lip Gloss
Just been a longish (well for me) and have a heat pad on my back and my calf guards on (trying my be...